The entire family will enjoy these nutritious turkey taco lettuce wraps as an easy, low-carb dinner. Ideal for your upcoming taco Tuesday!
My husband and I frequently make fun of or lament the idea that everything that tastes good is unhealthy or fattening. You name it: cheese, chocolate, fried food. But the absolute exception to that rule is these taco lettuce wraps. You wouldn't even know that you were eating something healthy because these are so delicious! They contain a lot of healthy ingredients and have a low carbohydrate and high protein content. Okay, let's start with the basics.
When making tacos, you have countless ingredient options; the following are some of the most popular ones:
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, Red Onions, Corn.
- Fruits: Avocado, Jalapenos, Black Olives.
- Cheeses: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Queso, Fontina.
- Other: Sour Cream, Black Beans, Cilantro, Black Olives, Guacamole, Salsa, Hot Sauce, Enchilada Sauce, Tortilla Strips, Pico De Gallo, and Refried Beans.
Best Lettuce for Lettuce Wraps
- Larger lettuce leaves, like romaine, work well for taco wraps, especially when used in pairs.
- For these PF Changs Chicken Lettuce wraps, where the filling is lighter, Butter Lettuce works well.
- A nice substitute is iceberg lettuce, and you can also use several lettuce leaves.
- The leftover turkey and black bean mixture needs to be used within three days and kept in an airtight container.
- A different way to use up leftovers is in taco salads. Chop the romaine and sprinkle it with the reheated turkey and black beans.
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- ¾ cup chicken broth, can sub water
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 ½ cups Cheese, shredded
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves, (each wrap uses 2 overlapped leaves)
- Fresh Cilantro, Roughly chopped, to garnish
- Cook and crumble the ground turkey in a pan over medium heat for 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add taco seasoning and ¾ cup chicken broth. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the black beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stack two lettuce leaves on top of one another for each wrap.
- Spoon ground turkey and black bean mixture into each lettuce wrap and sprinkle with remaining toppings and a dollop of sour cream. Top with fresh cilantro and serve!
- The leftover turkey/black bean mixture should be kept in an airtight container and used within three days.
- Taco salads are an alternative way to use up leftovers. Chop up the romaine and top it with your leftover toppings and reheated turkey/black beans.