Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!) is the perfect breakfast option for those lazy mornings when you want something quick and delicious without putting in too much effort. This hearty breakfast dish is made with tater tots, eggs, sausage, and cheese, and can be easily prepared ahead of time, making it the perfect breakfast for busy mornings.
I remember the first time I made this breakfast casserole. I had some friends coming over for brunch, and I wanted to impress them with something delicious but easy to prepare. I came across the recipe for Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!), and it seemed like the perfect choice. I followed the recipe and assembled the casserole the night before, and the next morning, all I had to do was pop it in the oven. The aroma of the sizzling sausage melted cheese, and golden tater tots filled my kitchen, and my friends couldn't resist the delicious smell.
As we sat down to enjoy the breakfast casserole, we couldn't help but marvel at how simple it was to make. The combination of flavors and textures was perfect, and it was the ideal comfort food for a lazy Sunday morning. From that day on, Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!) has become a regular in my brunch repertoire. It's the perfect dish to make when you have company coming over or when you want to treat yourself to a delicious breakfast without spending all morning in the kitchen.
So if you're looking for a breakfast dish that's easy to make, tastes delicious, and is sure to impress your guests, give Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!) a try. You won't be disappointed!
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 (32-ounce) package of tater tots
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbled.
- Spread the tater tots in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tots.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the egg mixture.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
How to Store it:
If you have leftovers, you can store the Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
How to Reheat it:
To reheat the casserole, simply microwave individual portions for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the entire casserole in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Tips to make it more delicious:
- Add chopped bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms for additional flavor and texture.
- Substitute bacon or ham for the breakfast sausage for a different flavor profile.
- Top with chopped green onions or fresh herbs like parsley or basil for added freshness.
Can I make this breakfast casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole up to a day ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it.
Can I freeze this breakfast casserole?
Yes, you can freeze the Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole. Simply assemble the casserole and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake as directed.
Can I use frozen tater tots?
Yes, you can use frozen tater tots for this recipe. Simply follow the recipe as directed and bake the casserole for an additional 10-15 minutes to ensure the tater tots are fully cooked.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese you prefer. Cheddar cheese is a popular choice for this recipe, but you can also use mozzarella, pepper jack, or any other type of cheese you like.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Yes, you can make this recipe vegetarian by omitting the breakfast sausage or substituting it with a vegetarian sausage alternative.
Can I use a different type of meat?
Yes, you can use any type of breakfast meat you prefer, such as bacon, ham, or turkey sausage.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Make-Ahead!) is a simple and delicious breakfast option that can be prepared ahead of time for busy mornings. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this breakfast casserole is sure to become a favorite in your household.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 5 strips bacon
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 9 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream, at room temp
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup feta
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups frozen tater tots
- 3 green onions, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over low heat until crispy on each side.
- Set the bacon aside. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop it.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the bacon grease in the pan and drain the rest.
- Heat the onions and peppers in the bacon drippings for 3 minutes over medium heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk vigorously with a fork or whisk to create a foamy consistency. These are air pockets that make the eggs fluffy.
- Beat in the sour cream and milk until well-incorporated. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the feta over the eggs, then the bacon, onions, and peppers. Note: You may want to reserve a little bit of bacon to garnish the top of the casserole with.
- Top with grated cheddar, then with the tater tots.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, until the tater tots are crisp.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Top with diced green onions, serve, and enjoy!
Optional Additional Ingredients Include:
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Caramelized Onions
- Gruyere, Mozzarella, or Gouda Cheese