I am up again with good news for Omelette lovers as I will bake Denver Omelette which will provide you with an energetic booster in your breakfast. This dish is a variation of the classic Denver omelette, but instead of making individual omelettes, you bake them in a casserole dish, making it perfect for feeding a crowd or meal prepping for the week. I will share a step-by-step guide on how to make a delicious Denver Omelette Egg Bake that is sure to become your new favorite breakfast dish.
What is a Denver Omelette Egg Bake?
A Denver omelette is a classic American breakfast dish that originated in the late 1800s in Denver, Colorado. It typically includes diced ham, bell peppers, onions, and cheese, cooked together with eggs and served as a folded omelette. A Denver Omelette Egg Bake is a twist on the traditional dish where all the ingredients are mixed together and baked in a casserole dish, creating a more convenient and tasty way to enjoy this dish.
Ingredients for Denver Omelette Egg Bake
Here I am mentioning some vital ingredients which are useful for making the subject recipe:
- Large eggs
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Green bell pepper, diced
- Onion, diced
- Diced ham
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Steps to Make a Denver Omelette Egg Bake
All we need is to follow the steps given below and our Denver Omelette Egg Bake will be in our hand:
- As a preparatory measure, heat up your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dice the bell peppers and onion, and set them aside. Cut the ham into small pieces and set it aside as well.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and sauté the diced bell peppers and onions until they are soft and slightly caramelized. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk until they are well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked bell peppers, onions, and diced ham to the mixing bowl with the eggs and milk. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and mix everything together until it is well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it out evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the center is cooked through. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips to Make the Perfect Denver Omelette Egg Bake
I will recommend you some useful tips to get some extra texture and flavor:
Try to use fresh ingredients for best results. Cut your vegetables into small, uniform pieces for even cooking. Also, you can add additional ingredients like mushrooms, spinach, or bacon to your egg bake for a personalized twist. Don't overcook the egg bake. It should be slightly jiggly in the center when you remove it from the oven, as it will continue to cook a bit as it cools.
Serve your Denver Omelette Egg Bake hot with your favorite breakfast sides, like toast, home fries, or fruit. You can also serve it cold as leftovers, making it a great meal prep option for busy mornings.
Q1. Can I make this dish ahead of time and reheat it later?
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time and reheat it later. Simply cover it with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, place it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Q2. Can I use a different type of cheese in this dish?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese you like in this dish. Gouda, Swiss, or Monterey Jack would all be great options.
Q3. Can I use egg whites instead of whole eggs?
Yes, you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs if you prefer. Use 16 egg whites in place of the 8 whole eggs called for in the recipe.
Denver Omelette Egg Bake is must try recipe for omelette lovers. It's a simple and delicious way to enjoy all the flavors of a classic Denver omelette in a convenient and satisfying dish. Follow our step-by-step guide given above and customize it with your favorite ingredients to make it your own.
Denver Omelette Egg Bake
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced (can substitute cooked bacon or sausage)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ¾ cup bell pepper, diced (I used red and green)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- ½ cup diced green onion, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs and half & half together in a large bowl.
- Mix in the other ingredients, including desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture in a greased 9x9 inch pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is starting to turn light brown.
- Garnish with sliced green onions for some additional color & flavor, and enjoy!