Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and what better way to start your morning than with a hearty breakfast casserole? If you're a fan of everything bagels, then you're going to love this Overnight Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole. Packed with the flavors of an everything bagel, this casserole is easy to make and perfect for serving to a crowd. In this blog, I'll share my story of making it, the ingredients needed, and how to make it step by step.
I first tried this recipe at a brunch party and I was blown away by how delicious it was. I immediately asked the host for the recipe and made it for my family the following weekend. They loved it and have been asking me to make it ever since. What I love about this recipe is that you can prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning, making it a perfect dish for lazy weekends or when you have guests over.
For this recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 6 everything bagels, sliced into small pieces
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup of chopped scallions
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Overnight Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole:
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sliced bagels, scallions, and shredded cheddar cheese to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and bake the casserole for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the eggs are set.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips for making Overnight Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole:
- Use stale bagels for best results, as they will soak up the egg mixture more easily.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat, if you like.
- Don't skip the step of refrigerating the casserole overnight, as it allows the bagels to absorb the egg mixture and results in a more flavorful dish.
- Serving suggestions:
- Serve the casserole with a side of fresh fruit or a simple green salad.
- Top with avocado slices, diced tomatoes, or chopped herbs for extra flavor and color.
Variations on the recipe:
- Add chopped vegetables such as bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms to the egg mixture for extra nutrition and flavor.
- Substitute the cheddar cheese for feta, goat cheese, or mozzarella for a different taste.
- Use gluten-free bagels and dairy-free cheese for a gluten-free and dairy-free version of the recipe.
How to store it?
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to refrigerate it?
To refrigerate the casserole, cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
Making casserole ahead of time
Yes, you can make the casserole ahead of time and freeze it. Just make sure to let it cool completely before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
To reheat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and bake it at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until it's heated through.
Can I use other types of bagels for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of bagel you like.
Can I make this recipe without cheese?
Yes, you can omit the cheese if you prefer.
Can I freeze this casserole?
Yes, you can freeze the casserole for up to 2 months. Just make sure to let it cool completely before freezing and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Can I add meat to this casserole?
Yes, you can add cooked bacon, sausage, or ham to this casserole for extra flavor and protein.
The Overnight Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole is a delicious and easy breakfast dish that's perfect for feeding a crowd. With its flavors of an everything bagel, it's sure to be a hit with everyone. Plus, it can be made the night before, which makes it perfect for lazy weekends or when you have guests over. Give it a try and let me know what you think!