Tuna salad is a light and refreshing comfort food classic. It's the perfect combination of creamy and crispy, thanks to a few simple ingredients like canned tuna, mayonnaise, onion, and celery. Serve this in a sandwich, wrap it in lettuce, or stuff it in avocado halves for a quick and easy lunch.
It's very simple to prepare using canned tuna and a few grocery supplies—yay for easy recipes! Thus, if you ever find yourself in a lunch rut, having this basic dish on hand can come in handy.
TUNA SALAD INGREDIENTS
This recipe just requires a few basic ingredients.
- Canned Tuna: Wild tuna in cans with water, but any type works.
- Mayonnaise: This is your creamy binding agent.
- Celery: For a burst of fresh crunch with every bite.
- Red onion: Finely sliced red onion is always the right savory balance.
- Parsley: A couple of teaspoons of fresh herbs definitely make this tuna salad dish the finest.
- Dijon Mustard: ½ tbsp
- Salt and Pepper: as per taste
HOW TO MAKE TUNA SALAD
To begin, you'll need to drain your tuna. Press the lid on the tuna and tilt the can to drain all the liquid over a sink after cutting the lid with a can opener. Remove the cover from the tuna and set it in a medium-sized bowl.
Next, stir in the mayonnaise, celery, red onion, parsley, and Dijon mustard. Mix everything together with a fork, breaking up any large chunks of tuna. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and that's all there is to it!
TUNA SALAD VARIATIONS
Not a lover of mayonnaise or looking for a more robust flavor? Here are a few ideas for enhancing the flavor of this dish.
- For a lighter, creamier version, substitute ordinary or Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise.
- If you don't want to use mayonnaise, use mashed avocado instead.
- Make a broccoli tuna salad by adding broccoli rice.
- Mix in dry fruits like raisins or freshly chopped apples.
- Toss in sliced cucumbers or shredded cabbage to make it extra crispy.
- Season with curry powder, other spice blends, or chopped herbs.
- Pour lemon juice into the mixture as you're mixing for a brighter taste.
HOW LONG DOES TUNA SALAD LAST?
The tastiest tuna salad is eaten fresh, although it may be preserved in the fridge for 3-4 days. Because it contains fish and mayonnaise, don't keep it on the counter for too long at room temperature.
The answer is yes if you want to freeze this! Just keep the salad in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Just remember to drain away the extra liquid once it has thawed in the fridge. Then, before eating, give it a thorough mix.
BEST TUNA SALAD RECIPE – EASY & HEALTHY
- 2 (5-ounce) cans tuna
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley, chives and/or other herbs
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain the liquid from the tuna cans. Then, add the tuna, mayonnaise, diced celery, diced red onion, herbs, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl.
- Stir all of the ingredients together until well combined.
- Enjoy the tuna salad plain out of a bowl, wrapped up in lettuce, or in a sandwich.
- If you’d like a creamier texture you can always add more mayonnaise.
- My favorite tuna is albacore tuna and I always purchase Wild Planet brand.