Sweet and a little bit salty Japanese Teriyaki sauce made with 4 ingredients.A perfect sauce glaze for topping on salmon and baked chicken. You need just soy sauce, sake, sugar, and mirin. If you ever eat teriyaki chicken from a Japanese restaurant then you can understand what I’m talking about. Sweet and salty glaze sauce on chicken and a bowl of rice is the best combo like you eat in heaven. But in this recipe, all magic of teriyaki sauce and restaurants chef didn’t buy it from stores because it is very easy to make. If you made it home you will never buy it from stores. To make it just proceed with the ingredients for the reduction procedure.
AUTHENTIC JAPANESE TERIYAKI SAUCE
When Americans adopted the recipe, they convert it in their version by adding garlic & ginger, and cornstarch for thickness. But I’m going to make it in its authentic method. If you want the restaurant-style stickiness of sauce on your chicken you need to take 3 ingredients equally and after that add sugar to your taste.
TERIYAKI SAUCE VARIATIONS
- If you do have not sake( a Japanese wine made from fermented rice) you can use more mirin in its replacement. Or use its substitute white wine.
- If you don’t have mirin you can increase the quantity of sake and also add honey to it. Also can use its substitute of water & honey with a 3:1 ratio.
Rice vinegar adds a savory flavor into the sauce so you can skip it. American use vinegar in replacement of wine and to keep balance the flavor they add much more sugar to it but it is not healthy. What do you think about its thickness the original teriyaki sauce is much thinner than American teriyaki sauce. But if you cook it on the stove it will naturally convert into thicker. In homemade sauce, you can add arrowroot powder or cornstarch to get thickness.
CAN YOU ADD FLAVORS?
I like to use ginger and garlic in my recipes but in this sauce, I will not use both because I want to increase its shelf life. To get ginger and garlic flavor I will use them directly in my chicken teriyaki recipe.
HOW TO MAKE TERIYAKI SAUCE
To make the best teriyaki sauce at home you need to follow these steps.
- Take a pot and put soya sauce, mirin, honey, and sake in it. Keep the pot on the stove on medium heat.
- Bring a boil to it and add sugar to it. Cook it till then the sugar will dissolve in all ingredients convert flame to medium to low to cook it continually for 10 minutes.
- Keep aside the pan after 10 minutes and store it in a bottle. After coming at room temperature it texture converts into thickness.
TERIYAKI SAUCE RECIPE VIDEO
To make this recipe quick and perfect watch my video of teriyaki sauce.
After letting it cool down when it becomes cool pour it into glass bottles or jars. You can store the sauce in the fridge for 1 month.
HOW TO USE TERIYAKI SAUCE
You should know about it that teriyaki sauce is used to glaze on different veggies or proteins. It is not for marinating because it is already reduced enough and when you cook it with protein or veggies the sugar will burn and give a bad taste to you. Follow the step to use it as a glaze.
- Make a coat of glaze on the salmon if you bake it. Before getting it from the oven make a layer of sauce glaze on the salmon.
- If you are going to stir-fry chicken pour the sauce just before getting it from the pan. Pour the sauce on the chicken and coated it well for a few seconds.
MORE SAUCES TO USE AS A GLAZE
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Asian Stir Fry Sauce
- Honey Balsamic Marinade
Frequently Asked Questions
What is teriyaki sauce made of?
It is made from just 4 ingredients sake, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce. It is a japanees sauce use in different meals or food recipes.
How does teriyaki sauce taste?
It has a mix of flavors like salty, tangy, and sweet. Mirin and sake give it a savory and a little bit tangy flavor while sugar makes it sweet.
Is teriyaki hot or spicy?
Teriyaki sauce is not all sweet it s a little bit tangy and spicy. Bromelain enzymes help the meat to tender well.
Teriyaki sauce gives a shiny and mouth-watering touch to your meals. It is a quick recipe and sweet and salty taste. 2 tablespoon are enough per serving. Rich in flavor and after making it at home you will not go to the store to buy