Sweet potato soup is the ideal soup for the fall and winter seasons. It's a creamy concoction of sweet potatoes, carrots, fresh ginger, and a dash of spice. For a wonderful and satisfying weekday supper, top with a swirl of coconut cream, watercress, and crumbled pistachios.
THE BEST SWEET POTATO SOUP RECIPE
If you've been following me for a while, you'll be aware that one of my favorite ingredients to use in cooking is sweet potatoes. This vegetable never falls short when it comes to imparting a delicious, authentic fall flavor, whether it is roasted or spiralized.
As we are currently in the thick of sweet potato season, making a creamy soup with it is a no-brainer! You'll want to keep eating more of this silky, flavorful, and spicy sweet potato soup.
WHAT TYPE OF SWEET POTATO TO USE
Currently, it's very typical to become perplexed by the selection of sweet potatoes offered at your neighborhood market. Although some are referred to as yams and others as sweet potatoes, how can we tell the difference between the two? The following is a brief overview of what to watch out for:
- Choose the potatoes with orange and red skins. They are often sweeter, creamier, and less starchy, and are referred to as "wet variations."
- not to be mistaken with yams. The potatoes with red and orange skins are occasionally misidentified as yams. Yet, these are more starchy and dry in nature.
- Check for soft patches and smooth skin. Make sure the potato is nice and firm and that there are no discolorations by taking a closer look.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO SOUP
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the chopped onions and carrots. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, stirring regularly, until the carrots soften.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and paprika for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- To the saucepan, add the diced sweet potato and vegetable broth. Set the heat to high, bring it to a boil, then decrease it to medium and allow the soup to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Put the soup in a high-powered blender and mix for one minute, or until the soup is creamy enough.
- Serve with coconut cream or yogurt, chopped pistachios, red pepper flakes, crushed black pepper, and watercress as garnish.
TIPS WHEN BLENDING
- Make sure your carrots and sweet potatoes are easily pierced. Smoothing veggies that are still rigid is not a good idea. You will be left with a slightly lumpy, non-creamy soup base otherwise.
- Let the steam escape from your blender's top by leaving it open. If you don't close this gap, the pressure inside your blender will build up and probably cause the lid to pop open. Kitchen chaos is not ideal!
- In no case should you overfill your blender. You can unintentionally snap the lid open in addition to the mixture not blending as smoothly as you would like it to.
CAN YOU FREEZE SWEET POTATO SOUP?
If you want to save this soup for a rainy day, keep it in a freezer-safe container like Weck Jars or silicone soup trays like the Souper Cubes.
Pour it into a pot or container and place it in the fridge if you're merely saving it for later in the week.
GIVE THESE SWEET POTATO RECIPES A TRY
If you enjoyed this sweet potato soup, I have a few other delectable sweet potato dishes that you can try this season to keep your tummy full and happy.
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Warm Sweet Potato Noodles, Cabbage, and Lentil Salad
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Curly Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Aioli
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
SWEET POTATO SOUP RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 ½ pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ tablespoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or more for thinner consistency
- coconut cream or yogurt
- red pepper flakes
- cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot on medium high heat. Add the diced onion and carrots and stir frequently for 6-8 minutes, or until the carrots have softened slightly.
- Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and paprika. Stir for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the diced sweet potato and vegetable broth. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, add a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork tender.
- Use a ladle to transfer the soup ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend on high for one minute or until creamy. You can add more broth or water for a thinner consistency.
- To serve, pour into a bowl and garnish with coconut cream or yogurt, chopped pistachios, red pepper flakes, cracked black pepper and watercress.
- Try not to exceed 1 ½ pounds of sweet potato, otherwise you may exceed the maximum fill line on your blender.
- Remember that you can always add a little water or broth as necessary to achieve a thinner consistency.