Salmon is one of the most loved ones around the globe. Here I am presenting a famous and smoky dish called smoked salmon cheese ball. A smoked salmon cheese ball is a delicious appetizer made with cream cheese, smoked salmon, and various seasonings. It is typically served at parties or holiday gatherings, either as a spread with crackers or as a filling for celery sticks.
This appetizer is not only delicious but also easy to prepare and can be made in advance, making it a great option for entertaining. It's perfect for those who love smoked salmon and creamy, tangy dips and is sure to be a hit at any party or gathering.
WHAT TYPE OF SALMON TO USE
You may go for either fresh or canned Salmon. In my personal opinion after making these balls time and again, I’ll recommend fresh salmon. The fresh salmon has a fresh texture and is creamier than the canned one. Anyhow if fresh salmon is out of reach, you may use the canned one as well.
SMOKED SALMON CHEESE BALL INGREDIENTS
Below mentioned are the ingredients for making a smoked salmon cheese ball:
- Softened Cream cheese
- Chopped Smoked salmon
- Chopped Green onions
- Worcestershire sauce
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Chopped parsley or chopped nuts
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SALMON CHEESEBALL
To make a smoked salmon cheese ball, cream cheese is softened and then combined with chopped smoked salmon, green onion, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. The mixture is then shaped into a ball and rolled in chopped parsley or chopped nuts for added texture and flavor.
A step-by-step process is also given below for a better understanding of new ones:
In a medium-sized bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the chopped smoked salmon, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and black pepper to the cream cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into a ball.
- Spread the chopped parsley or nuts out onto a flat surface and roll the cheese ball in it until it's coated thoroughly.
- Wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
This smoked salmon cheese ball is a perfect appetizer for any occasion and can be served with crackers or fresh vegetables. It's also easy to customize by adding your favorite herbs, spices, or seasonings to the mixture.
GET CREATIVE WITH THE OUTER LAYER
There are many ways to get creative with the outer layer of a smoked salmon cheese ball. Here I am presenting a few ideas which inspire you to get creative:
Crushed crackers: Instead of using chopped nuts or parsley, you can roll the cheese ball in crushed crackers for a different texture and flavor. Saltine crackers or buttery Ritz crackers work well.
Everything bagel seasoning: Roll the cheese ball in everything bagel seasoning for a delicious twist. This seasoning typically includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, onion, and salt.
Finely chopped fresh herbs: Try rolling the cheese ball in a mixture of finely chopped fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, and chives. This will add a burst of fresh flavor to the appetizer.
Crushed potato chips: For a crunchy and salty twist, roll the cheese ball in crushed potato chips. This works especially well with ridged or thicker chips.
Bacon bits: Add some smoky flavor to the cheese ball by rolling it in finely chopped bacon bits. This is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
STORING AND FREEZING SMOKED SALMON CHEESE BALLS
Smoked salmon cheese balls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days, but it's best to consume them within two to three days to ensure freshness. To store the cheese ball, wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in an airtight container.
If you want to freeze the smoked salmon cheese ball, it's best to do so before rolling it in the outer layer. Wrap the cheese ball tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer bag. The cheese ball can be frozen for up to three months.
When you're ready to serve the cheese ball, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Once thawed, you can then roll it in the outer layer of your choice and serve as desired.
It's important to note that freezing the cheese ball can affect its texture and consistency, so it may not be as smooth and creamy as it was before freezing. However, it should still be delicious and safe to eat.
SMOKED SALMON CHEESE BALL
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces smoked salmon, or regular salmon plus 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (see notes above)
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh herbs (chives, parsley, dill, etc), chopped
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, salmon, red onion, and lemon pepper to a mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to mix everything together. Alternatively, you could use a stand mixer.
- Form the cheese mixture into a ball with your hands. The cheese will be soft, but it will firm up once chilled. If you feel it's too soft to make a ball, you can chill it for 30 minutes.
- Mix together your chopped pecans and fresh herbs. Place them in a single layer on a plate or cutting board.
- Roll the cheese ball into the pecans, until the entire outside is coated.
- Serve immediately with crackers or veggie slices or refrigerate the cheese ball, until desired. The flavor becomes more intensified the longer the ball sits in the fridge. So you can certainly make this the day before it's needed.
- I’ve tried several brands of liquid smoke and this one is far and away my favorite.
- You can also make this dairy-free by using a vegan cream cheese spread.