This entire chicken cooked in the slow cooker has beautiful, herbed skin on the outside and juicy meat within. It just takes 15 minutes to prepare in the morning, and when you get home, supper is ready.
For hectic weeknights, rotisserie chicken is a terrific option. It is delicious and enough to serve a whole family. However, you can make a whole chicken at home without having to drive to Costco or the grocery store by using today's straightforward slow cooker recipe.
Compared to my roast chicken recipe, the slow cooker makes it simpler to "set it and forget it". Simply arrange some finely chopped veggies beneath the chicken, then cover with herbs and pepper for a mouthwatering flavour.
Oh, and this chicken's adaptability is the finest part. As part of meal preparation, you can either consume it whole or shred it into little pieces. The possibilities are infinite; simply put it into a salad or blend it into soup! Let's start preparing now.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TIPS
Here are some suggestions and things to watch out for when cooking before we get started.
CREATE A BASE FOR THE CHICKEN
If you will not waste all the juices of the chicken put a lot of vegetables in the bottom of the pot. When the liquid will give off it will drop on these veggies. You can put onions, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes. Also, your side dish is now ready.
- Take note: I'm using a 4QT slow cooker for this recipe. But I advise adding a few extra vegetables if your crock pot is larger. Just watch out that the chicken doesn't touch the lid.
BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING THE CHICKEN OUT OF THE POT
In fact, you might want to solicit help if you want it to remain intact. I assure you that your chicken will be juicy. Juicier than any store rotisserie chicken you've ever purchased. As soon as you try to take it out of the slow cooker, it will fall apart. So I advise you to carefully pull it out using two broad spatulas.
IS IT BETTER TO SLOW COOK ON LOW OR HIGH?
In your slow cooker, you may select between cooking the chicken on low or high. The cooking process will take 7 to 8 hours on low. It will take three to four hours to cook on high.
However, I think the "low and slow" approach works the best and favour an 8-hour cook period. The chicken may then be prepared in the morning and ready for dinner.
HOW TO GET CRISPY SKIN
Due to the wet heat used during slow cooking, the inside is the most juicy. The disadvantage is that the skin might not become as crispy as it does on my roast chicken or on crispy baked chicken thighs. To obtain the best browned, crispy skin, follow these three optional procedures.
- The raw chicken should have a teaspoon of salt added to it before being put on a dish and kept in the refrigerator overnight. The chicken skin will have the chance to dry up and get crispier in the slow cooker.
- Don't add any liquid to the slow cooker. Olive oil and lemon juice shouldn't be applied to the chicken.
- To produce really crispy skin, put the cooked chicken on a baking pan and briefly broil it.
HOW TO COOK A WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER
With a few simple steps and minimal preparation, this dish may be prepared fast. You should do the following actions.
- Cut the vegetables. In the bottom of the crock pot, arrange the carrots, parsnips, and big chopped onions.
- Chicken Cooling: The cooking of chicken. First, ensure sure there are no giblets in the cavity of the whole chicken.
- Add Herbs: Use herbs and spices to season the chicken. Feel free to include more, less, or as desired.
- Slowly Cooking: Slowly prepare the chicken. It will depend on the size of the chicken that how much it will take tie for cooking. However, cook the chicken in slow cooker for 7 to 8 hours. The chicken is cooked slowly and you will get the unique taste of all ingredients in the whole chicken.
- Chicken Is Ready: When the chicken is ready off it from the pan and place the whole chicken into a big plate. Also, add the veggies and mashed potatoes to the chicken and it will increase the flavor of the whole chicken.
SLOW COOKER WHOLE CHICKEN – ROTISSERIE STYLE
- 2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 parsnip, cut into large chunks
- ½ onion, cut into wedges
- 1 whole chicken, (4-5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the carrots, parsnip and onion to your slow cooker. If you have a large slow cooker, feel free to add more vegetables.
- Add the herbs and spices to a small bowl and mix together.
- Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the herbs and spices onto the chicken and rub them in and all around with your hands. Then place the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- Add the lid to the slow cooker and cook the chicken on low for 7-8 hours, depending on the size of your chicken. When done, carefully remove and serve.