With the ideal balance of spices, slow cooker pulled pork is exceptionally juicy, tender, and delicious. You'll like this simple "set it and forget it" slow cooker meal.
Pulled pork is ideal for feeding a crowd or for weekly meal prep, especially because it can be used in so many different ways! Let's face it: pulled pork tacos are the greatest.
Go for a boneless pork shoulder for making pulled pork. It's also known as a pig butt or a Boston butt. Although bone-in pork shoulders are available, I prefer boneless pork shoulders for more meat in my slow cooker.
Select a pork shoulder with a good amount of marbling (for taste) but not too much fat on the margins. You can also remove any surplus fat.
THE MOST DELICIOUS PULLED PORK RUB
I use a spice rub of paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper on this pulled pork. It's tasty and spicy, but not overpoweringly so. And it tastes precisely like my beef dry rub (though that one is more sweet and smoky).
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK – 4 EASY STEPS
Follow these four simple steps for the most properly seasoned, cooked, soft, juicy, and flavorful pulled pork:
- In the slow cooker, combine the chopped onion, garlic, and orange juice.
- Smear the dry spices all over the meat.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker and set it to low for 8 hours (don't use high - it's much more tender cooked low and slow).
- Transfer the pork to a plate or cutting board and shred it with two forks.
- With this method, you barely have to raise a finger, and the result is the most delicious pulled pork you've ever eaten!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PULLED PORK
First and foremost, don't forget that you may eat it all on its own. Nevertheless, I also enjoy serving it with:
- Mashed potatoes
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Easy Cucumber Salad
It's also delicious blended with your favorite barbecue sauce, in a pulled pork salad, or topped with fried eggs for a flavorful, protein-packed breakfast. The possibilities are limitless. And it's because of this that this slow cooker pulled pork dish is so delicious.
HOW TO STORE ANY LEFTOVER PULLED PORK
If you don't finish the pulled pork in one sitting, don't worry - it makes wonderful meal prep for later in the week. Just put it in a meal prep container. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
BEST SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK RECIPE
- 4 ½ pounds pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 orange, juiced
- Place the diced onion, garlic and orange juice in your slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the spices together.
- Trim all excess fat from the pork shoulder, then rub the spice mixture generously around the entire pork shoulder and place in the slow cooker.
- Turn your slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Once your pork is fully cooked, remove it from the slow cooker to a plate or cutting board and use two forks to shred the pork.
- You can add some of the remaining liquid from the slow cooker to the pulled pork for extra moisture.
- This is a delicious BBQ sauce that’s also paleo and Whole30 friendly. It’s great on this pork!
- I’ve also heard great things about this slow cooker, if you’re looking to buy a new one.