The salad I love to have with me while traveling in summer is Shaved Brussels sprouts salad with cranberries and apples. This is a fresh and healthy salad that is loaded with flavor and texture. This salad is perfect for those who love the taste of Brussels sprouts but prefer them in a raw form. The combination of shaved Brussels sprouts, sweet dried cranberries, and tart apples creates a delicious balance of sweet and tart flavors. This salad is also packed with nutrition, as Brussels sprouts are loaded with fiber and vitamins c and k. It's a great side dish for any meal or can be enjoyed as a light lunch or dinner.
BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD INGREDIENTS
The ingredients I use for shaved Brussels sprouts salad with cranberries and apples include:
- Brussels sprouts Fresh, raw Brussels sprouts that have been trimmed and shaved into thin slices.
- Dried cranberries: sweet and chewy dried cranberries add a pop of flavor and color to the salad.
- Apple: a tart apple, such as Granny Smith or Honey crisp, is diced and added to the salad for a sweet and tart flavor.
- Nuts: chopped nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans, add a crunchy texture and nutty flavor to the salad.
- Cheese: crumbled or shaved cheese, such as Parmesan or feta, can be added to the salad for extra flavor and creaminess.
The ingredients can easily be adjusted to suit your taste preferences. For example, you can add other fruits like pomegranate seeds, swap out the nuts or cheese, or use a different type of dressing.
WHAT KIND OF DRESSING TO USE WITH THIS SALAD?
There are many delicious dressings that go well with Brussels sprouts salad. Some popular options include:
- Classic Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Honey Mustard Dressing
- Citrus Vinaigrette
- Creamy Caesar Dressing
- Tangy Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
- Savory Miso Dressing
Ultimately, the best dressing for your Brussels sprouts salad will depend on your personal taste preferences, so don't be afraid to get creative and try something new.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO SHAVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS?
The best way to shave Brussels sprouts is by using a sharp knife or a slicer. First, remove any outer leaves that are damaged or discolored. Then, cut off the tough end of the sprout and halve it lengthwise. Place the flat side of the sprout on the cutting board and slice it crosswise as thinly as possible. If you're using a slicer, adjust the blade to the desired thickness and carefully push the sprouts through. Shaved Brussels sprouts make a great base for salads, slaws, or even as a topping for pizzas or pasta.
HOW TO MAKE SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
The process of making this salad is very easy as it has only 4 simple steps to get the things ready.
Step 1: PREP THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Rinse the Brussels sprouts under cold water and dry them thoroughly.
Cut off the stem end of each Brussels sprout, and then cut them in half.
Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice each Brussels sprout in half.
Step 2: PREP THE APPLE
Cut the apple in half and remove the core.
Thinly slice the apple.
Step 3: MAKE THE DRESSING
In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Step 4: ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
In a large bowl, combine the sliced Brussels sprouts, sliced apple, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds.
To store Brussels sprouts salad, you should first make sure that the salad is properly dressed. Then, transfer it to a container with a tight-fitting lid or cover it tightly with plastic wrap. If possible, store the salad in the refrigerator's crisper drawer, which is specifically designed to maintain the humidity that helps vegetables stay fresh. If you don't have a crisper drawer, any part of the refrigerator that is not too cold and has good air circulation will work. Generally speaking, brussels sprouts salad will keep fresh for up to 3-4 days if stored properly.
Can I make Brussels sprouts salad ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Brussels sprouts salad ahead of time. Just make sure to store it properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve it.
Is Brussels sprouts salad healthy?
Yes, brussels sprouts salad is generally considered to be a healthy dish, as brussels sprouts are a great source of nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber.
SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 ounces goat cheese
LEMON VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced (approx ⅓ cup juice)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey, or maple syrup
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the dressing by combining all the of dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Use a whisk to vigorously blend and emulsify the dressing.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and toss the salad to combine.
- If you want a more flavorful salad, let the brussels sprout sit for 30 minutes (after tossing) to absorb the dressing.
- This salad will last for up to a few days in the fridge.