If you're looking for a quick and easy salad that's packed with flavor and nutrition, then this roasted red pepper and chickpea salad recipe is perfect for you. This salad is not only delicious, but it's also a great source of protein and fiber, making it a healthy and satisfying meal.
The roasted red peppers add a smoky and sweet flavor to the salad, while the chickpeas provide a nutty and creamy texture. This salad can be served as a side dish or a main course and is perfect for those who are looking for a meatless and gluten-free option. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time, you can have a delicious and nutritious salad that's perfect for any occasion.
INGREDIENTS FOR ROASTED CHICKPEA SALAD
The greatest salads are made by combining fresh items from the refrigerator with pantry staples. You'll need to prepare a few things in advance, including the pickled onions and the roasted chickpeas. Yet, once those are prepared, you can keep eating this chickpea salad several times throughout the week!
In order to give this salad a toasted, spicy flavor, I used roasted chickpeas. Believe me, it will taste a lot better than canned chickpeas.
- Cucumbers: Is it just me, or is there nothing better than recently chopped cucumbers in a salad?
- Red peppers can be roasted on their own, but I'm using the canned variety to make the process simpler.
- Pickled Onion: To be honest, this salad would be fantastic with either fresh or pickled red onions. The pickled version, however, brings a delightfully sweet tang!
- Herbs: Add freshly chopped parsley or any other of your preferred herbs!
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: I adore how this salad tastes with the balsamic vinaigrette. Nevertheless, you can also use a lemon vinaigrette.
- Cheese is always an optional ingredient. But crumbled feta or goat cheese really brings the flavor to the next level.
In addition to being a fantastic vegetarian source of protein, chickpeas also have significant concentrations of the minerals calcium, zinc, and folic acid. I really adore them in all kinds of recipes, but especially in salads like this one that is filling and healthy. For this dish, I prepared my own dried chickpeas; the directions are below. If you wish to create the salad using dry chickpeas, you should begin soaking them at least one day beforehand. You can substitute canned chickpeas if you'd like.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKPEA AND RED PEPPER SALAD,
The rest comes together quickly and easily once the roasted chickpeas and pickled onions are prepared. It only takes chopping and dicing some of the ingredients, then mixing everything in a bowl.
Combine each component. As desired, add the extra lemon paste and olive oil after tasting.
Chopped olives, sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichokes, za'atar, cilantro, mozzarella, and hard-boiled eggs are among the add-ons that are optional.
Use other beans
You may also use any other beans you have on hand in place of the chickpeas.
Due to the natural pectin content in each batch, our preserved lemon paste is an all-natural product and is therefore prone to small variations.
Lemon Paste has a more gel-like consistency, we advise either blending the product in a blender or using a knife to gently cut through the product on a cutting board until the texture is what the customer wants.
SERVING OPTIONS FOR THIS CHICKPEA SALAD
This chickpea salad is a substantial meal on its own. Nonetheless, I implore you to think of this as a prepared ingredient. Explore your options and see what you can pair it with! Here are some concepts.
Side dish tuna meatballs, or a straightforward baked chicken breast and baked salmon, this makes a fantastic side salad!
Wrap: You can definitely use this to make a chickpea-filled wrap! Before folding up your tortilla, add a layer of spinach to it, then top it with this salad. More protein, please. Add some chicken that has been shredded!
HOW TO PREP A MEAL
This chickpea salad is rather robust and excellent for dinner preparation, like most of them. Simply keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. The shelf life is 4 to 5 days.
Q: Can I substitute roasted red peppers with fresh red peppers?
A: Yes, fresh red peppers can be used in place of roasted red peppers, but the flavor and texture of the salad will be different.
Q: Can I add other vegetables to this salad?
A: Yes, you can add other vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, or spinach to this salad for additional flavor and nutrition.
ROASTED RED PEPPER AND CHICKPEA SALAD
- 1 English cucumber , diced (about 3 cups diced)
- 1 ½ cups roasted chickpeas
- 3 roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup pickled red onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- Optional: crubled goat cheese or feta cheese
- Toss. In a large mixing bowl, add the cucumber, roasted chickpeas, roasted red peppers, parsley, pickled red onion, and balsamic vinaigrette. Toss together until combined.
- Serve. Top the salad with crumbled goat cheese and serve.