If you are addicted to food that outside is crunchy and soft from the inside then Roasted Brussels Sprouts are for you. I bet you, you didn’t eat a side dish like this. The crunch from the outside and a soft and sweet flavor from the inside. With a little effort, you can make a fabulous side dish for your guests or family at mealtime.
IS IT BRUSSELS OR BRUSSELS SPROUTS?
In both ways, it is right to say its name Brussels or Brussels Sprouts. In Wikipedia, it is mentioned the name of these little veggies related to the city of Brussels. It was the first crop that was harvested in the 13th century.
HOW TO CHOOSE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
I think fresh veggies are better than packed but you can use also a packed version if you use it out of season. If you bought it in season must check its color and texture. If they are fresh after squeezing them they should be firm and their color will be bright green instead of yellowish tone.
HOW TO ROAST BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- Trim the Sprouts: Rinse them and cut the end of the sprouts and give them a cut length-wise. If its leaves fall off don’t worry keep them in a baking tray with sprouts for extra crunch.
- Toss with Oil & Seasoning: Sprinkle salt and back paper on cut sprouts and drizzle some olive oil on them toss them well.
- Roast the Sprouts: Heat the pan and flip the sprouts in it.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY SPROUTS ARE DONE?
There are many ways to cook the sprouts but I like them crunchy from the outside and a little bit soft inside. Here is a list of temperatures and the time to cook them according to taste.
- Bake them at 375F for about 30 minutes to make them caramelized and tender.
- At 400F bake them for about 35 minutes to give them less crunch and tender flavor.
- If you want extra crunch then bake them at 475F for 20 minutes.
If you are using the low side to bake them you can burn the upper grade of flame to make them a little bit crunchy from the outside.
DELICIOUS FLAVOR VARIATIONS
I love to eat classy recipes but when it goes to sprouts you can make different variations & combinations with sauces, and seasonings and toss them with other veggies.
- If you want sweet and shiny glazed-on sprouts then mixed maple syrup and mustard sauce and pour them on them for 5 minutes of getting them out of the oven.
- Use balsamic reduction to get a tangy and sweet flavor of sauce on sprouts.
- Want a touch of spiciness then add sriracha sauce, lime juice, and honey to make a spicy sauce for spouts.
- If you want something healthy for a holiday side dish just toss pecan, bacon, cranberries, and sprouts and stir them with olive oil and salt & pepper. It becomes amazing.
- Love to eat cheese. Sprinkle cheese and minced garlic on sprouts to make them cheesy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OVEN-ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
I know veggies are healthy but they are not enough for your meal. You can make a combo of protein and fruits for rainy or cool weather. Here are some options for you, you can choose any one according to your taste.
- Bavette Steak
- BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
- Buttry Fish with Crispy Skin
- Cast Iron Skillet Burger
- Roasted Balsamic Chicken
- Corn and Zucchini Fritters
- Chicken Katsu
STORING AND REHEATING LEFTOVERS
It is better if you eat sprouts fresh when they are baked in the oven but if you baked them in large quantities and don’t want to waste them you can store them.
- If you had leftovers from a few days like 2 or 3 put them airtight jar and store them in the fridge.
- If you have a large quantity keep them in a ziplock bag after coming to room temperature or keep them airtight box. Freeze them for about 3 months.
- If you feel a craving to eat them, put them into the microwave and heat them, and if you want to make them crunchy bake them at 400 F for 5 minutes.
YES TO EASY SIDE DISHES
If you had a party or weekend night get-together and looking for recipes that cover your base then these are for you.
- Stir-Fried Cabbage
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Fried Green beans with Shallots and Lemon
Why is my roasted Brussels sprouts not crispy?
It is happen because you would not bake them at high temperatures in the oven. If you cook them on slow heat they will be not turn crispy.
Do I need to boil Brussels sprouts before roasting them?
You can boil them if you want to save them from burning from high heat. There is a second chance for you, you can roast them on the grill after BBQ.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts are a healthy recipe to make a different combo. Best side dish for dinner or lunch menu. You can bake, stir, or roast them with different variations.