Tacos of tender pulled pork topped with pickled red onions, bits of avocado, cotija cheese, and fresh cilantro. Tell me now if that doesn't seem like a taco night crowd-pleaser.
My passion for tacos stems from my Southern California upbringing. There is seldom a day when I won't have taco night, including breakfast tacos, prawn tacos, and carne asada tacos. In particular, when I prepare a batch of my crazily juicy and tender slow cooker pulled pork.
Given the variety of dishes I can make with pulled pork (as you can see in my winter meal prep), it is one of my favorite components to prepare for dinners. But tacos are the obvious choice when I have a large quantity of beef like this.
WHAT’S IN THESE PULLED PORK TACOS
You only need your primary protein source, tortillas, and your preferred assortment of toppings for this taco dish.
- 4 ½ Pound Pulled Pork: Make a batch of my pulled pork recipe, which I've linked above and below, in your slow cooker right away. There is plenty of food for a substantial gathering or to save leftovers for later enjoyment.
- Tortillas: I highly recommend my cassava flour tortillas if you're gluten-free like me. Of course, you are free to use whichever tortilla you choose.
- Homemade pickled red onions: These make the tacos taste a thousand times better. Plus, they take only one hour to prepare and are quite simple to create.
- Toppings: I usually enjoy adding avocado, goat cheese, and cilantro as the finishing touches. Here are a couple of my other favorites if you need additional inspiration.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK
- Prepare the gammon. After trimming off any extra fat, apply the spice mixture all over the pork.
- Prepare the crock pot. Orange juice, chopped onion, and garlic are added to the slow cooker. After that, add the meat on top.
- Make your food slowly. Allow this to simmer for 8 hours. On the other hand, if you're in a hurry, you may cook this for 4 to 5 hours on high. Your pulled pork ought to be juicy and tender by that time!
- It's time to cut. Remove the pork from the slow cooker with care and place it on a chopping board. Then, using two forks, tear it into little pieces. You are now prepared to assemble tacos.
IT’S PULLED PORK TACO ASSEMBLY TIME! HERE’S YOUR OPTIONS
It's simple to automatically go for your go-to taco toppings. But if you want to add some flavour to your pulled pork tacos, try any of these toppings!
- Add Sauces: A drop of sour cream or this lime crema will be particularly reviving as we already have pickled red onions!
- Increase Cheeses: For these tacos, I prefer to use cotija cheese, but any crumbled cheese would do.
- Use Fresh herbs and vegetables: Chopped cilantro, coleslaw, or radishes provide a burst of flavour and crunch.
TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING AHEAD OF TIME
Given that there are numerous recipes contained inside this recipe, I have some advice on how to be most effective (and avoid utterly destroying your kitchen in one go, as I did).
- You are welcome to prepare and chill the pulled pork a day in advance. The entire batch may then be heated for a party or as needed for individual portions. You may microwave or sauté the pork to reheat it. In a big skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then add enough pulled pork to cover the bottom of the pan. This is the saute method. For delicious, crispy carnitas, allow it to crisp up on one side.
- Prepare the cassava flour tortillas in the morning, let them cool completely, and then store them in a bag. To avoid sticking, just place a tiny piece of parchment paper between each tortilla. These can then be heated in the microwave for a little period.
- Prepare the pickled red onion a day or more in advance. You don't need to scramble to make it at the last minute since it will keep in the refrigerator for a month.
- You should prepare these pulled pork tacos for a hungry audience during outdoor party season (or anytime).
You can make this recipe unique and special by following the exact ingredients and their quantity. You can effortlessly make those Pulled pork Tacos for Sunday dinner or any other unique event. you could leave a comment underneath if you like this recipe.
PULLED PORK TACOS
- 4 ½ pounds pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 orange, juiced
- pickled red onion
- goat cheese
- chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper together.
- Place the diced onion, garlic and orange juice in your slow cooker.
- Trim all excess fat from the pork shoulder, then rub the spice mixture generously around the entire pork shoulder and place in the slow cooker. Turn your slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Once your pork is fully cooked, remove it from the slow cooker to a plate or cutting board and use two forks to shred the pork.
- Assemble your tacos by placing a portion of warmed pulled pork, a few slices of onion, cheese, and cilantro on top of each tortilla.