Are you looking for a tasty and refreshing drink recipe? Then you are in the right spot because today I am here to share an amazing recipe that is Horchata, it is a Mexican recipe because here we simply blend rice, milk, and some other sweeteners for a creamy and tasty drink on a hot summer day. It is so easy to make and there are many ways to make it but in this recipe, I am going to share a healthy and tasty way of using ingredients so that you can have tasty as well as a healthy recipe.
WHAT IS HORCHATA?
Many of you surely will curious to know about Horchata, let me explain, it is a grain-based beverage and it is made from so many different types of grains and nuts and these grains and nuts are also varied according to different countries, like Puerto Rico uses sesame seeds while on other side Spain uses dried nuts. In this way, ingredients keep varying in different countries.
Mexico's recipe involves rice and the drink is made from rice and has a very creamy texture to enhance its taste many additional sweeteners are also used and many additional ingredients are used in different recipes. I used cinnamon and other ingredients to have a yummy and refreshing drink in the summer. There are many other ingredients like milk and sugar, I used all ingredients in a balanced ratio so that there is a balanced taste.
HOW TO MAKE HORCHATA?
Horchata is very easy to make, and here is the procedure for making this recipe:
- Wash the rice.First of all, I rinsed the rice under fresh water so that all the dirt is removed.
- Blend the mixture. Now I added the water, rice, and cinnamon sticks in a blender and blended them for a few seconds so that everything is mashed properly.
- Let it soak and chill. I soaked all the ingredients overnight after pouring this ground mixture into a container, and then let it chill in the fridge.
- Strain the mixture. Now I strained the mixture through a nut milk bag.
- Add the rest. According to your taste add sweeteners along with milk, vanilla, and sugar and stir it so that everything mixes well.
- After stirring everything and serving in glasses with freshly ground cinnamon I top it with ice cubes.
I used an alternative way to make it, so if you are not happy with the above-mentioned ingredients, you can replace them,here’s a list of alternatives.
Make it nut-free: by preferring another type of milk
Alternative sweeteners: honey or dates can be used as alternative sweeteners.
Use other types of milk: you can use other non-dairy milk such as coconut milk or almond milk instead of regular milk.
Make it creamier: you can add more milk.
A FEW TIPS FOR THE BEST HORCHATA
- Use a blender. blending will help you maximize the flavors from the rice and cinnamon, so instead of whisking use a blender.
- Strain it well. To get a creamy liquid strain it well because there are many residues of rice and cinnamon present in it.
- Pour over ice. for the ultimate chilled beverage., pour it over rice.
- Use cinnamon sticks. Use cinnamon sticks instead of grounded cinnamon for a better taste.
- Soak overnight. So that you can have a proper texture.
HOW LONG WILL THIS KEEP IN THE FRIDGE?
Horchata will remain fresh in the fridge for 4 days at least.
Can I use grounded cinnamon instead of sticks?
yes you can use grounded cinnamon but for a better taste you should prefer cinnamon sticks.
The Horchata recipe is the creamiest and rich in vitamins in nutrients, I used rice here along with other ingredients like almond milk, cinnamon sticks, and water, for a sweet taste you can use honey or maple syrup and if you want a creamy texture just add more milk into it. It is very simple to make just wash the rice and blend it well with cinnamon then after straining left it for a night and serve it with ice. You can keep this Horchata in the fridge for 4 days.