If you are planning an outdoor party and want to have some fresh and crispy at your gathering, I will show you a quick and crunchy recipe which is a mixture of garlic and shrimp. Absolutely, I am talking about Garlic Grilled Shrimp Skewers. These skewers are very delicious and can be made within ten minutes. It can save both time and effort and let you enjoy more during your summers.
As the name suggests, this dish consists of large shrimp that are marinated in a flavorful mixture of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs, then skewered and grilled to perfection. The shrimp are usually served with a side of veggies or a salad, making it a complete meal that is both satisfying and nutritious. Garlic grilled shrimp skewers are easy to make and can be customized to your liking by adjusting the amount and type of seasonings used.
SHRIMP BUYING TIPS
I usually tell people to have a look at the following tips while buying shrimp. This can help them to get more meatier and suitable products in order to prepare grilled shrimp skewers:
Always look for fresh shrimp that are firm and have a slightly translucent color. Avoid shrimp that are slimy, soft, or have a strong odor. Also, choose shrimp that have the shells intact, as they tend to be fresher and have a longer shelf life. If you prefer, you can also buy peeled and deveined shrimp, but they may not be as fresh.
Try to collect the right size of shrimp for your recipe. Larger shrimp are usually more expensive but have a meatier texture and can be a great choice for grilling, while smaller shrimp are ideal for soups, stews, and pasta.
If buying frozen shrimp, make sure they are frozen solid and have no signs of freezer burn or ice crystals.
A SIMPLE YET TASTY GRILLED SHRIMP MARINADE
It is surely a simple recipe and can be made using the following ingredients. Have a look at the ingredients then I will show you how to make this recipe step by step:
- Peeled Large Shrimp
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Lemon Juice
- Black pepper and salt
- Metal or wooden skewers
HOW TO GRILL SHRIMP JUST RIGHT
The process of preparing the grilled shrimp and finalizing it contains the following steps which should be followed strictly and most importantly while grilling it:
- Whisk together the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, paprika, salt, and black pepper to make the marinade.
- Add the shrimp to the marinade and toss to coat evenly. Let the shrimp marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Thread the marinated shrimp onto the skewers, leaving some space between them.
- Place the skewers on the preheated grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp turn pink and opaque.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and let them rest for a minute before serving.
- Serve the garlic grilled shrimp skewers with a side of veggies or a salad, and lemon wedges for extra flavor.
BEST SKEWERS TO USE
I prefer metallic skewers instead of wooden ones because metallic skewers are not required to soak in water for half an hour before use. Another reason is that wooden skewers can burn and needles grow up in them which makes the grilling process trickier. So, I always use and recommend the metallic one.
GRILLED SHRIMP PAIRS NICELY WITH…
If you want to give some attractive touch to your shrimp skewers you can have a look at the following variations.
Try grilling some zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms alongside the shrimp for a colorful and nutritious side dish. A side of cooked rice or quinoa can balance out the flavors of the grilled shrimp and add some fiber to the meal.
A light and fresh salad can complement the rich flavors of the shrimp. Try a simple green salad with citrus vinaigrette or a Greek salad with feta cheese. A rich and flavorful sauce like garlic butter can enhance the taste of grilled shrimp.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Storing the leftovers of grilled shrimp skewers is so easy. Just take an airtight container and keep the leftovers in for 3 to 4 days in it. If you want to store them for a long time then these leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3
GARLIC GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS
- 1 pound large shrimp
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper, adjust to spice preference
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, and spices to a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and pour ¾ of the marinade on top of the shrimp. Mix together gently until the shrimp are well coated.
- Cover the bowl and marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Thread the shrimp on the skewers and make sure to get all the good garlic and herbs from the bowl and spread on to the shrimp.
- Heat a grill or grill pan on medium high heat.
- Once the grill is hot, place the shrimp skewers on the grill and cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes each side, or until they turn pink and opaque.
- Remove the shrimp to a plate and spoon the remaining marinade on top before serving.
- Adding the last little bit of marinade at the end makes these grilled shrimp extra garlicky. If you don’t like raw garlic and/or would like the garlic flavor less strong, just use all the marinade in step 2.
- You can use a variety of fresh herbs in this recipe, including parsley, cilantro, basil, thyme and oregano (I don’t recommend rosemary). Feel free to swap the herbs for your favorites.
- These are my favorite skewers. They’re flat skewers which prevent the shrimp from rotating around when you flip them over.
- This is the indoor grill pan I use on top of my stove.