Falafel flatbread is a healthy and flavorful alternative to traditional flatbread. Its blend of herbs, vegetables, and chickpeas make it a great source of protein, fiber, and nutrients.
This recipe is perfect for those who follow a vegan or gluten-free diet or for anyone looking to add a little variety to their bread options.
Falafel Flatbread Recipe Ingredients
Hey there, folks! I am excited to share with you my recipe for an amazing and unique take on flatbread - falafel flatbread! Mostly I am looking for ways to add more flavor and nutrients to my meals. This is why this recipe has quickly become a favorite of mine. And the best part? It's vegan and gluten-free!
Now, let's get down to the details. The initial mixture that will be refrigerated requires only a handful of ingredients, most of which you may already have on hand. We start with dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - it's important to note that canned chickpeas won't work here as they are too soft and wet. We then add yellow onion for a stronger flavor, fresh parsley and cilantro for a burst of fresh flavor and vibrant green color, and garlic for its unbeatable taste.
But wait, we are not done yet! A small green chile pepper adds a kick of flavor and spice without overpowering the falafel. And to round out the flavors, we add cumin, cardamom, salt, black pepper, and baking soda for a delicious, earthy, and spicy flavor that's commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking. After refrigerating the mixture, we add chickpea flour to bind the mixture together and prevent it from falling apart.
And to make sure everything comes together, we add olive oil and water to help bind the flour to the rest of the mixture. Trust me, once you try this falafel flatbread, you won't want to go back to your usual flatbread. It's packed with protein, fiber, and nutrients, making it a guilt-free option for any meal. So what are you waiting for? Give it a try and let me know what you think!
How To Make Falafel Flatbread
Are you ready to make a delicious and healthy falafel flatbread that's both vegan and gluten-free? Don't worry, it might seem complicated at first, but I will guide you through each step of the process so you can create a perfect flatbread.
- Firstly, you will need to soak dried chickpeas in water the night before you make the flatbread. Make sure to use enough water to cover the chickpeas by 2-3 inches, as they will triple in size.
- The next day, rinse the chickpeas and add them to your food processor along with some onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, green chile pepper, cumin, cardamom, salt, black pepper, and baking soda.
- Pulse these ingredients several times until the texture becomes grainy, then transfer the falafel mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Now it's time to refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to an hour. This will help the ingredients come together and make it easier to shape the flatbread later.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add chickpea flour, water, and olive oil to the mixture and combine everything with your hands until it's well combined.
- Then shape the flatbread by flattening the falafel mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and gently press down with your hands to flatten.
- Bake the flatbread in the oven for 25 minutes, and then let it cool for about 10 minutes before slicing it into rectangular pieces. Now you have a delicious and healthy falafel flatbread that's packed with protein, fiber, and nutrients.
With this recipe, you can easily impress your family and friends with your culinary skills. So why not give it a try today and enjoy a flavorful and healthy meal that's both satisfying and delicious!
How To Store and Freeze
After you’ve made your delicious falafel flatbread, you may want to store it or freeze it for later. The good news is that it’s super easy to do! To store leftovers, simply allow the flatbread to cool completely, then place it in an airtight container. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you would like to freeze the flatbread, make sure it’s completely cooled down before wrapping each piece individually in parchment paper.
Then, place the wrapped flatbread in an airtight freezer-safe container or a ziplock bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen flatbread, simply remove it from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours before reheating in the oven or toaster oven.
Can I swap out dried chickpeas for canned ones?
The texture of the flatbread may be impacted if you use canned chickpeas for this recipe since they are too mushy and watery. Use dry chickpeas that have been soaked overnight for the best results.
In conclusion, this recipe for falafel flatbread is a tasty and healthful substitute for regular flatbread. This flatbread is not only gluten-free and vegan but also loaded with protein and fiber thanks to a mixture of chickpeas, herbs, and spices. The recipe is simple to follow and may be frozen or refrigerated for later use. So give it a shot and relish the delicious and pristine Mediterranean aromas with each bite!