As the weather warms up, there's nothing quite like a fresh and crispy salad to satisfy your hunger. And what better way to do that than with a Crispy Chicken Salad? This salad is a perfect balance of tender chicken, crunchy vegetables, and a zesty dressing. Today, I will be sharing with you my recipe for Crispy Chicken Salad which is sure to become a favorite in your household as well.
One summer day, I was craving something light and refreshing for lunch. I decided to make a Crispy Chicken Salad, and it turned out to be the perfect choice. As I cooked the chicken, I could hear it sizzling in the pan, and the aroma of garlic and herbs filled the kitchen. The sound of the crispy lettuce crunching under my teeth as I ate was music to my ears. The combination of the tender chicken and crunchy vegetables was a match made in heaven. It was so delicious that I made it again the next day!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and black pepper.
In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
In a third shallow bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, dried thyme, and dried oregano.
Dip each chicken piece first in the flour mixture, then in the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure to coat it well.
Place the chicken pieces on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
In a large bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, shredded carrots, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped parsley.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
Serve the salad topped with the crispy chicken pieces.
How to store it:
If you have leftovers, store the salad and chicken separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to refrigerate it:
You can refrigerate the salad and chicken separately if you want to make it ahead of time. Just cover each container with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
How to reheat:
To reheat the chicken, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Do not reheat the salad as it will become wilted.
Tips to make it more delicious:
You can add avocado or bacon bits to the salad for extra flavor.
Make the salad more filling by adding boiled eggs or croutons
Can I use a different type of lettuce?
Yes, you can use any type of lettuce you prefer. Romaine lettuce or spinach would also work well.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken?
Yes, you can use pre-cooked chicken to save time. Just cut it into bite-sized pieces and skip steps 2-6 in the recipe.
Can I make the dressing ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dressing ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes, you can use any type of cheese you prefer. Feta or blue cheese would also work well.
Can I use a different type of vinegar?
Yes, you can use any type of vinegar you prefer. Red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar would also work well.
Crispy Chicken Salad is a delicious and healthy meal that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you're looking for a light lunch or a hearty dinner, this salad is sure to satisfy your hunger. The combination of crispy chicken and fresh vegetables is a match made in heaven, and the zesty dressing ties it all together perfectly. With this recipe, you'll be able to enjoy this tasty dish anytime you want.
Crispy Chicken Salad
- 1 small boneless skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs, Italian or Panko
- ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or canola
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ cups Iceberg Lettuce, preferably a mix with carrots and red cabbage
- ¼ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ¼ Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons honey mustard
- ⅓ cup Tri-Colored Tortilla Strips
- Prep Work: Whisk 1 egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the flour, breadcrumbs, and seasonings on a plate and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast in half to create 2 thinner pieces of equal size. Slice each half into strips about ½ inch thick. Note that they will plump up slightly when cooked.
- Bread the Chicken: Pat the strips completely dry and dip them in the whisked egg. Use your fingers to slide off the excess, if it’s too wet it will leak through the breading. Transfer to the breading mixture and coat generously. Give each one an extra dip in the breading right before frying.
- Frying: Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. If possible, use an oil thermometer to wait until the oil reaches 350 degrees.
- Once the oil is heated, carefully add the chicken strips, leaving space around each one so that they don’t touch each other. You’ll need to fry in batches. Use kitchen tongs to carefully turn the chicken over once the first side is golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Set fried chicken aside on a cooling rack to keep it crispy underneath. Add more chicken to the pan as soon as you take some out.
Hard Boil the Eggs:
- Submerge the eggs in 2 inches of cool water in a pot on the stove-top. Gradually bring them to a boil.
- Once the boil is reached, cover the pot and remove them from the heat. Let them sit for 12 minutes.
- Peel, and slice in half or in fourths.
Assemble the Salad
- Add the lettuce to a large plate or salad bowl. Top with tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, and cheese.
- Slice the chicken strips into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle them on top.
- Drizzle with honey mustard, top with tortilla strips, and serve!
- 1 small boneless/skinless chicken breast is equal to about ½ pound and makes approximately 6 strips.
What To Add to Crispy Chicken SaladThis recipe contains the same ingredients used in Friendly's crispy chicken salad. Here are some delicious optional additions:
- Avocado, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Onions, Olives, Parmesan Cheese, Bacon.
- While you're at it, try my recipe for homemade croutons!
- Popcorn Chicken is great in this salad instead of tenders.
- Bread the chicken right before you fry them for crispiest results. Otherwise the moisture from the chicken/egg will leak through the breading. This will make them soggy and can cause your breading to fall off when frying.
- Adjust the heat as needed throughout the cooking process. The oil gets hotter as the chicken browns and cooks, don’t be afraid to turn it down a little. Making slightly temperature adjustments throughout will ensure everything cooks evenly. If your oil gets too dirty, add a little more oil to clarify it a bit. (Note that this will temporarily cool the oil down.)