You'll prepare this creamy cajun chicken meal over and over again. Chicken marinated in Cajun spices is pan-seared till brown and then cooked in a delectably creamy sauce brimming with vegetables.
When I was considering what to make with leftover cajun seasoning from my jambalaya dish, my thoughts instantly went to this Tuscan chicken meal, which is a reader's favourite. Why not give this recipe a spicy Cajun touch, I reasoned?
Surprise… The outcome was a chef's kiss. The chicken has outstanding seasoning. However, when you dip a cut piece into the creamy sauce with pieces of vegetables, it has a flavour that makes you "backward eye roll" and it's that amazing. So the next time you're searching for a meal alternative to roasted chicken breasts, try this simple cajun chicken dish.
CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
It's amazing how tasty this cajun chicken is considering how few ingredients are required. There are a few choices listed below if you can't have dairy.
- 7 Ounces Chicken: Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are what I'm using. But feel free to use chicken thighs for a more flavorful choice.
- Vegetables: I have included chopped ½ cup onion, ½ cup bell pepper, and 1 rib of celery in keeping with the Cajun concept here. Alternatively referred to as the "Holy Trinity" in Cajun cooking.
- 2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning: A pre-made version is usually available. However, you may create your own with my recipe, which is listed above (or in the recipe card below).
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Cream: I prefer to add heavy cream to increase the dish's richness. Use coconut cream (not coconut milk) or this handmade cashew cream for alternatives that don't include dairy.
- ¼ cup Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan gives the sauce a rich, creamy texture. Additionally, nutritional yeast provides a comparable cheesy, nutty flavour if you cannot have dairy. Just include one or two tablespoons.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN
The techniques used in this recipe and my Tuscan chicken recipe are fairly similar.
Chicken preparation: Apply the Cajun spice on both sides of each chicken breast.
Seared Chicken: The chicken is seared. Cook dinner the chicken very well by searing it for three to 4 mins on each side in a huge skillet. Then take the chicken out and place it on a special platter.
Tip For Cooking: A helpful hint is to cook your chicken longer on each side until it reaches 160°F if it is on the thicker side. Putting a lid on the pan might hasten the process as well.
Saute Veggies: Saute all the veggies and if additional oil is required, add it to the same skillet to resource within the deglazing method. Then the celery, onion, and bell pepper are brought. For three to 4 mins, or till they're gentle, saute the veggies. Add the garlic subsequently and maintain cooking for a further minute.
Adding Cheese and Cream: After that, stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese before bringing it to a boil. The sauce ought should begin to bubble and begin to slightly boil.
Simmer It: Ladle it out. Return the chicken to the skillet and warm it there for about 5 greater minutes. While it is carried out, garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
WAYS TO SERVE CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN
I enjoy eating this meal with a straightforward side salad. But here are some other ways to finish this meal:
- Served With Rice and Mashed potatoes: Place a hearty foundation on the plate. For soaking up that excellent sauce, rice or mashed potatoes would be ideal. Lentils provide a delicious texture contrast.
- Serve With Veggies: This recipe should include more vegetables. For an additional vegetable boost (without having to prepare a second side of vegetables), you may always add a little more of the Holy Trinity.
- Side Veggies Dish: Make a vegetable side dish. If you have additional time, roasted potatoes with garlic and herbs, sautéed spinach, sauteed cabbage, or roasted broccoli would all be delicious side dishes.
To preserve: For three to 4 days, save inside the fridge in an airtight field.
Freeze It: if you want to experience this chicken meal in the close to the future with a simple reheat, freezing is an amazing preference. Truly keep any leftovers in a freezer-safe field for up to three months
I'm hoping you and anybody else you feed this creamy Cajun chicken to will enjoy it. If you give it a go, kindly share your experience in the comments section below.
CREAMY CAJUN CHICKEN
- 4 (7-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 rib of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Prep the chicken. Season both sides of each chicken breast with the Cajun seasoning.
- Sear the chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and sear for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside.
- Saute the veggies. In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil along with the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until the veggies have softened. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese, stir together, and bring to a simmer.
- Let it simmer. Place the chicken back in the skillet and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving.
- If you’d like to tone down the spice level, you can reduce the amount of Cajun seasoning to 1 tablespoon.
- I’m using my favorite braiser pan for this recipe.