When it comes to easy and healthy side dishes, I always turn to cilantro lime cauliflower rice. As someone who likes to meal prep, having a batch of this in the fridge is a game-changer. It’s versatile, flavorful, and can be used in so many different ways.
Adding lime juice and cilantro takes the cauliflower rice to a whole new level. The lime zest adds a refreshing tanginess, while the cilantro adds a delicious fresh flavor. It’s a great way to sneak in some extra veggies to your meals without sacrificing taste. This dish can be served as a base for a burrito bowl, alongside some baked chicken, creamy chipotle shrimp, or grilled carne asada.
There are countless options. Additionally, you may convert your bowl into a full dinner by adding extra veggies, fish, or chicken. This cilantro lime cauliflower rice is not only tasty and healthful, but it also comes together quickly. All you need is a food processor or grater, some cauliflower, lime juice, and cilantro. Anyone trying to increase the flavor and amount of vegetables in their meals will love this recipe!
Which Type Of Cauliflower To Use
I have tried all of the many methods for making cauliflower rice. Personally, I like using fresh cauliflower in this dish. The texture of fresh cauliflower rice just cannot be beaten, but frozen florets can be used in a pinch. Pre-riced cauliflower can save time, but I typically find the chunks to be a little too big and chunky for my taste. Ultimately, the choice is yours and it depends on what’s most convenient for you. But if you are looking for the best texture and flavor, I recommend giving fresh cauliflower a try.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
To make my delicious cilantro lime cauliflower rice, I always start by prepping the cauliflower.
- I like to slice the cauliflower head in half and use a knife to remove all the florets.
- Some of the larger florets are then cut into smaller pieces so they can fit through the food processor.
- Once I have the florets ready, I use the grater attachment on my food processor to grate them.
- Next, I saute diced onion and garlic in olive oil until they are translucent.
- Then I add the cauliflower rice to the pan and saute for another 5-7 minutes, seasoning it with salt and pepper to taste.
- To take it to the next level, I add in the lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro towards the end.
- The zest gives it a pop of flavor and the cilantro adds freshness to the dish. It's a perfect side dish to pair with any protein or as a base for a burrito bowl.
What To Serve With Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
When it comes to pairing the zesty flavors of cilantro lime cauliflower rice, I have found that it can complement a variety of dishes. Personally, I enjoy using it as a base for a bowl that includes different types of greens and proteins. It makes meal prepping easier as I can mix and match the ingredients throughout the week to create different flavor combinations. To get you started, here are a few combination ideas that I have tried and loved:
- For a chicken bowl, combine the cilantro lime rice with shredded or slow cooker chicken, microgreens, a dollop of guacamole, and pico de gallo.
- For a pork bowl, mix the cilantro lime rice with shredded pork, salsa, green onions, and sliced avocados.
- For a fish bowl, pair the cilantro lime rice with orange glazed salmon and steamed broccoli.
- For a shrimp bowl, combine the cilantro lime rice with garlic butter shrimp and bok choy.
- For a veggie bowl, mix the cilantro lime rice with roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed swiss chard, and top it off with a poached egg.
These combinations are just a starting point, and you can get creative with your bowl by adding your favorite veggies, proteins, and sauces. With this cilantro lime cauliflower rice, the possibilities are endless!
Can I make this recipe ahead of time and store it in the fridge?
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can I use a different type of citrus instead of lime in this recipe?
Yes, you can experiment with different types of citrus such as lemon or orange to add a different flavor profile to the dish.
Incorporating healthy and flavorful side dishes like cilantro lime cauliflower rice can not only add variety to your meals, but also help you sneak in more vegetables. With its versatility and easy preparation, it's a great addition to any meal prep or weeknight dinner. Don't be afraid to experiment with different combinations and enjoy the delicious taste and health benefits of this dish.
CILANTRO LIME CAULIFLOWER RICE RECIPE
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Slice the cauliflower head in half and use a knife to remove all the florets. Cut some of the larger florets into smaller pieces so they'll fit within the chute of your food processor.
- Insert the grater adapter into your food processor and start feeding the cauliflower florets through the top. Depending on the size of your food processor, you may have to empty it halfway through.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the diced onion and garlic for a few minutes, until its translucent.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan and sauté for another 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the lime juice, lime zest and chopped cilantro. Toss everything together and serve immediately!
- For more delicious cauliflower rice flavor options, check out my how to make cauliflower rice post.