I absolutely adore chocolate almond butter banana bites – they are my go-to healthy sweet treat. The combination of frozen banana slices, creamy almond butter, and a thin layer of chocolate is simply irresistible. Plus, they are the perfect bite-sized snack that will satisfy your sweet tooth without sabotaging your health goals.
If you are a fan of my chocolate covered bananas, then these bites are a must-try. They are essentially a miniature version that's even more convenient to eat on the go. Not to mention, they're incredibly easy to make and require only a handful of ingredients. One of the things I love most about these bites is that they are packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fats. The frozen banana slices provide a great source of dietary fiber, while the almond butter adds a dose of protein and healthy fats that will keep you feeling full and energized throughout the day.
And let's not forget about the chocolate! While it's true that chocolate can be high in sugar and calories, a thin layer of dark chocolate can actually provide some health benefits. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, which help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. It also contains flavanols, which have been shown to improve heart health and cognitive function.
So go ahead and indulge in these delicious bites without any guilt. They are the perfect snack to cool you down on a hot day, or to enjoy as a mid-day treat when you need a little pick-me-up. Trust me, once you try them, you will be hooked!
Is Banana With Almond Butter A Healthy Snack?
Vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants are all abundant in bananas. You may then increase your intake of vitamins, fiber, healthy fats, and protein by spreading almond butter on top. Bananas and almond butter go together like bread and butter. It has the ideal ratio of sweet to salty flavors and is satisfying and healthy. Because of this, you undoubtedly noticed a lot of individuals making "almond butter and banana toast" in the morning. Therefore, combining the two results in a fantastic energy boost and generally healthy snack.
Just 5 Ingredients You Need
When making these chocolate almond butter banana bites, there are a few ingredients you will need to have on hand.
- Firstly, you will need some bananas. The number of bananas required will depend on their size, but typically 2 large or 3 medium-sized bananas will suffice.
- Next up, you will need some almond butter. While I'm using almond butter in this recipe, you can feel free to experiment with other nut butters like peanut butter, cashew butter, or even seed butter if you prefer.
- Of course, we can't forget about the chocolate chips! You can use either dark or milk chocolate chips, but personally, I prefer dark chocolate as it contains less sugar and has a richer flavor.
- To help soften the frozen chocolate shell, you'll need to add a teaspoon of coconut oil. This will make it easier to dip the banana slices in the chocolate and will also give them a nice shine.
- Finally, for an extra boost of nutrients and a bit of crunch, you can add some chia seeds to the mix. While optional, chia seeds are a great addition to this recipe as they provide a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein.
How To Make Frozen Banana Bites
To make these delicious chocolate almond butter banana bites, you will need a few ingredients and a bit of prep work.
- First, I recommend prepping a baking sheet with parchment paper to make cleanup a breeze.
- Next, grab your bananas and slice them into rounds about ¼ inch thick. The number of bananas you will need will depend on their size, but I typically use 2 large or 3 medium ones.
- Now it's time to add the almond butter! I love using almond butter for this recipe but feel free to switch it up with peanut butter, cashew butter, or any seed butter.
- Place half of the banana slices on the baking sheet and spread a layer of almond butter on top. If you like, you can also stir in some chia seeds for added crunch and nutrients.
- Next, place another banana slice on top of the almond butter to create a mini sandwich. Repeat this process with the remaining banana slices.
- Now that your bites are assembled, place them in the freezer until they are solid, which typically takes about an hour. While you're waiting, it's time to melt the chocolate.
- You can use dark or milk chocolate chips and add a teaspoon of coconut oil to make it extra smooth and dip-able.
- Heat the mixture in 20-second increments, stirring in between until it's silky smooth.
- Once your bites are frozen, it's time to dip them in the melted chocolate! Remove the frozen banana bites from the freezer and dip each one into the melted chocolate so that half of each bite is coated.
- Then place them back on the baking sheet.
- At this point, you will want to freeze the bites once more to let the chocolate harden.
- Once they are frozen again, you are ready to enjoy your delicious and healthy chocolate almond butter banana bites! Store them in freezer safe containers for a sweet treat whenever you need it.
CHOCOLATE ALMOND BUTTER BANANA BITES
- 3 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, optional
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then set aside.
- Peel and slice the bananas into rounds about ¼ inch thick. You don't want them too thick, otherwise the bites will be very thick to bite into when sandwiched together.
- Place half of the banana slices on the baking sheet and spread a layer of almond butter on top. If you'd like to add chia seeds to the almond butter (which I recommend), stir that into the almond butter before topping on the banana slices.
- Place another banana slice on top to create a mini sandwich. Repeat this for the rest of the banana slices.
- Freeze the banana bites until solid, about an hour.
- Add the chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the mixture in 20 second increments, stirring in between until it's silky smooth. If you'd like to add coconut oil to make the chocolate a little softer and more dip-able (see tip above) you can add it here and stir with the chocolate.
- Remove the frozen banana bites from the freezer. Dip each frozen banana bite into the melted chocolate so that half of each bite is coated. Then place it back on the baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets back into the freezer to let the chocolate harden.
- Once frozen, you're ready to enjoy or store away in freezer safe containers for up to 1-2 months.
- When you take the frozen banana bites out of the freezer to dip in the chocolate, the bananas will soften quickly, so try to do this step as fast as possible.
- I also recommend scraping the bottom side of the banana bite on the edge of your chocolate bowl. This way you won't have a puddle of chocolate under each bite.