Do you want a recipe that you can fit into your everyday meal? Then broccoli rice recipe is what you need to learn. This healthy dish can be eaten with stir-fries, wraps, scrambles, etc. Its small size will be beneficial to add as a mouth-watering side dish.
THE MANY BENEFITS OF BROCCOLI
Whenever someone talks about anti-inflammatory food, they will surely mention broccoli rice as it is the best in this case. It contains amazing antioxidant properties along with fiber, vitamin C, and much more. It is a great alternative to a high-carb diet if you are looking for something with low carbs and other health benefits.
I would suggest some great tricks for you to make this broccoli rice even yummier. You can add texture and flavor with some shallots and some garlic. You can then steam it or roast it to make it even more delicious. Depending on your taste, you can cook it any way you like and that’s a plus point of broccoli rice.
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI RICE
I have been trying different ways for making delicious broccoli rice quickly and I found that the best texture is attained through a food processor providing the rice with a fluffy and cotton sort of texture. I follow the instructions below to make this broccoli rice:
- First, I pick out a fresh-looking broccoli and slice its head into many small pieces.
- Then I begin to peel out the stalk and other hard parts. After this, I try to make pieces of 1 inch or less as they are easy to swallow.
- I turn on the food processor and add this broccoli to make it smaller like rice bits. In case my processor is not working, I use a blender instead.
I make the broccoli rice in a blending machine and before I put the pieces in a Vitamix, I make sure that all the pieces are small enough to fit into it. I then pulse it to make it just as small as the rice bits. I also make sure to scrape the sides of it in order for the broccoli bits to blend well.
If sometimes, I don't have a processor as well as a blending machine then I use a knife to make the broccoli small as a grain. It is more time-consuming but the results are just as good.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO COOK IT
For a more savory taste, you should be ready to give it a sauté as that’s the best method I found to be working.
I Use a pan and put it on a stove till it is heated, then I add some olive oil and some shallots along with sauté garlic. After this, I put broccoli rice in it and mix. Then I season it with pepper and salt for 4 minutes.
In case I want a more crispy feeling while eating the broccoli rice, then I use the roasting method for making it crispy and crunchy. For this, I preheat at 425 degrees Fahrenheit and then I roll the baking sheet which contains the seasoned rice into the microwave. I then roast it for half an hour and take it out when the edges have turned golden brown. Once it's done, I use lemon juice or parsley topping to make it look good.
MEAL PREP AND STORAGE TIPS
I get craving meals between daily breaks from work and for that, I look for recipes that are easy to use and use as a quick snack. I found that broccoli rice is indeed a great storage recipe that can be stored for up to 5 days if stored properly in an air-tight container. Before eating it, I heat it in a microwave so that I don’t get sick.
I also freeze it by using stasher bags when the airtight containers are not available. These can work for up to months of storage without making the broccoli rice go bad.
In conclusion, broccoli rice is a great quick recipe that can be used as a side dish. It contains amazing antioxidant properties along with fiber, vitamin C, and much more. You can season it with pepper and salt etc. It can be cooked in different ways too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is broccoli rice really good for you?
If you are looking for an alternative to white rice then you should choose broccoli rice as it contains fewer carbs than other foods and contains more iron and calcium.
Q. What is broccoli rice made of?
- Broccoli rice is actually broccoli blended or chopped into smaller pieces that look like rice.
EASY BROCCOLI RICE
- 1 head broccoli, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the broccoli head in half and use a knife to remove all the florets.
- Remove the woody parts from the broccoli stalk using a y-peeler. Then chop the stalk into 1 inch pieces.
- Place all broccoli pieces into a food processor and pulse until the it's broken up into tiny rice-sized pieces. I recommend placing the stalk pieces into the food processor first, so they'll be chopped up more.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the shallot and garlic for one minute.
- Add the broccoli rice to the pan and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields about 2-3 cups of broccoli rice, depending on the size of your broccoli head.