Everything a cowboy could want is in this Velveeta Queso, including beef, beer, black beans, and other ingredients.
Since the first time we made this Velveeta Queso Dip, it has quickly become one of our favorite dishes.
This is probably the appetizer recipe I've made the most of out of all of them. Even better, you can prepare this in the slow cooker up to two days in advance.
How to Make it
Drain any extra grease after browning the ground beef. For 4-5 minutes, add the beer and simmer.
Stir until smooth after adding Velveeta and Cheddar Jack Cheese and letting it melt.
Add the red onions, cilantro, and black beans. Blend by stirring.
As soon as the desired consistency is reached, add Rotel tomatoes and any extra tomato juice. After combining, serve!
Pro Tip: For this recipe, I like to use my 10-inch cast iron skillet. Cast iron has excellent heat conduction and imparts a rich flavor to everything.
- Great meat alternatives include ground turkey, ground sausage, and bacon.
- If you'd prefer to avoid meat, you can!
- In this recipe, beef or chicken broth works well in place of the beer.
- Instead of beer, root beer or coke add interesting flavors.
Crock Pot Method
Can Velveeta Queso be made in a slow cooker? Absolutely!
- Add all remaining ingredients after browning the meat.
- Heat for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low.
This Crock Pot, which I own, enables you to sear or brown meat on the stovetop inside the crock pot dish, eliminating the need to clean an additional pan. When the timer expires, it also automatically switches to warm!
This is a great dip to make ahead of time.
- Allow it to cool before storing it in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat it on the stovetop over low heat and serve once cooked through.
- This dip will also fit nicely in this 1.5-quart crock pot. If reheated in this crock, stir it occasionally.
- ½ lb. ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- ¾ cup Pale Ale, I use Tuckerman Pale Ale
- ½ cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 114.5 oz. can Rotel Tomatoes, partially drained
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ up red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook and crumble the ground beef over medium-high heat in a large, high-walled skillet. Drain any grease once cooked through.
- Add in the crushed red pepper flakes, salt/pepper, and beer. Let the beer reduce for about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add in the cheese and let it melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once the cheese is melted, stir in the beans, red onions, and cilantro.
- Add the tomatoes. You may also add some of the juice if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Let it continue to heat through for about 5 minutes, then serve!
Crock Pot Instructions
- Brown the meat and drain the grease, then add all remaining ingredients to the Crock Pot. Heat on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
- This is the Crock Pot that I have which allows you to sear meat on the stove top within the crock pot dish which eliminates cleaning an extra pan. It also automatically switches to warm if once the time is up!
Beer Substitution Options:
- Chicken or beef broth make great beer substitutes in this recipe.
- Root beer or coke adds interesting flavors in place of beer as well.