Looking for a comforting and delicious meal that's easy to make and requires minimal cleanup? Look no further than One Pot Tomato Spinach Tortellini with Sausage! This dish is hearty, flavorful, and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a cozy weekend meal. With just a handful of ingredients, you can whip up a pot of this delicious pasta in no time.
I stumbled upon this recipe when I was looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that would be perfect for a busy weeknight. I'm a big fan of one-pot meals because they're so convenient and easy to clean up, and this dish did not disappoint! I loved the combination of tortellini, sausage, and spinach in a rich tomato sauce. It was hearty, flavorful, and perfect for a chilly evening.
- 1 pound of Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 package of refrigerated tortellini (20 oz)
- 4 cups of fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for serving
How to Make One Pot Tomato Spinach Tortellini with Sausage:
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the Italian sausage over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pot and sauté for a few minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the tortellini to the pot and stir to coat with the sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tortellini is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add the fresh spinach to the pot and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.
How to Store It:
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat on the stove until hot.
How to Refrigerate It:
If you want to keep the dish for a longer period, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to four days. To refrigerate, transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and place it in the fridge. When you're ready to eat, reheat the pasta in the microwave or on the stove.
Tips and Variations:
- You can use any type of tortellini you like, such as cheese-filled or meat-filled.
- If you're short on time, you can use canned spinach instead of fresh spinach. Just be sure to drain the spinach well before adding it to the pot.
- To make the dish vegetarian, you can skip the sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- To make this dish spicier, you can use hot Italian sausage or add some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- If you want to add some extra creaminess to the dish, you can stir in some heavy cream or cream cheese at the end.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with cold water to the pot and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
Can I use frozen tortellini instead of refrigerated?
Yes, you can use frozen tortellini instead of refrigerated. Just adjust the cooking time as needed.
Can I use a different type of sausage?
Yes, you can use any type of sausage you like, such as sweet Italian sausage, spicy Italian sausage, or even chicken sausage.
Can I add other vegetables to this dish?
Yes, you can add other vegetables to this dish, such as bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms. Just sauté them with the onion and garlic before adding the tomatoes and broth.
One Pot Tomato Spinach Tortellini with Sausage is a delicious and easy-to-make meal that's perfect for any occasion. With just a few simple ingredients and one pot, you can have a hearty and flavorful dinner on the table in no time. Try it out today and see for yourself!