Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? It's one of those versatile dishes that pair well with almost anything. Whether it's a hearty steak, a savory chicken dish, or even a vegetarian option, mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish to complement any meal. But let's face it, sometimes making mashed potatoes can be time-consuming and labor-intensive. That's where the Instant Pot comes in, making the process of making mashed potatoes much easier and faster.
I remember the first time I made Instant Pot mashed potatoes. I had just received my Instant Pot as a gift and was eager to try it out. Mashed potatoes seemed like the perfect dish to test it out on since it's a staple in my household and one that we all love. I followed the recipe closely, peeling and cutting the potatoes into small pieces and placing them in the Instant Pot with the chicken broth. I secured the lid and set the timer for 8 minutes, feeling a bit apprehensive about whether or not they would turn out well.
I couldn't believe how easy it was to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. The cooking time was much faster than the traditional stovetop method, and there was no need to monitor the pot or worry about the potatoes boiling over. The Instant Pot did all the work for me, and the result was some of the best-mashed potatoes I had ever tasted.
Since then, I've made Instant Pot mashed potatoes many times, tweaking the recipe here and there to add different flavors and seasonings. It has become a go-to side dish in my household, and I always receive compliments when I serve it to guests.
To make Instant Pot mashed potatoes, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup of milk or cream
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Start by peeling and cutting your potatoes into small pieces. This will help them cook faster and more evenly in the Instant Pot.
- Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot and add the chicken or vegetable broth. Make sure the broth covers the potatoes completely.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to "sealing."
- Press the "manual" button and set the timer for 8 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid of the Instant Pot and drain any excess liquid from the potatoes.
- Add the milk or cream, butter, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot.
- Use a hand masher or an electric mixer to mash the potatoes until they reach your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
How to Store Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
If you have leftovers, you can store your mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat them up on the stove with a little extra milk or cream to keep them creamy and fluffy.
Can I use a different type of potato for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of potato you like. However, I find that Yukon gold potatoes work best for this recipe because they're naturally creamy and have a buttery flavor.
Can I use water instead of broth?
Yes, you can use water instead of broth, but keep in mind that broth will add extra flavor to the potatoes.
Can I add other ingredients to this recipe, like garlic or herbs?
Absolutely! This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to experiment with different flavors and seasonings. Garlic, herbs, and even cheese would be great additions to this recipe.
Instant Pot mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for any meal. They're creamy, fluffy, and incredibly easy to make. With minimal effort, you can have restaurant-quality mashed potatoes in a matter of minutes. So next time you're in a rush but still want a delicious and comforting side dish, give this recipe a try.