This is the era of doing things instantly. That’s why I also try to introduce you people some instant recipes which are not only easy to make but also are a very useful addition to your menu at parties. The recipe we are going to discuss is really simple and is a single pot as well which can be made within 5 minutes time.
This popular dish is a classic comfort food that is loved by kids and adults alike. With the help of your Instant Pot, you can have this creamy and cheesy dish on your table in no time. Here I will guide you through the process of making Instant Pot Mac and Cheese step by step.
The ingredients used in this recipe are also very simple and accessible to every person. So, I am using the following ingredients to make instant pot Mac and Cheese:
- Elbow macaroni, one pound is enough for a single serving.
- Unsalted butter
- Dijon mustard
- All-purpose flour
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
How to Make it:
Making the Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is really simple and can be made by kids as well if they are familiar with the basics of cooking. Anyhow, below mentioned steps are recommended to follow while making this recipe:
- Add the macaroni, water, and salt to the Instant Pot. Stir well to combine.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, quickly release the pressure.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk well for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps.
- Add in the Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until melted.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir well until evenly coated.
Best Kinds of Cheese to Use
As per my personal opinion, I recommend you use shredded cheddar cheese and grated Parmesan cheese for the best results. However, you can also experiment with other types of cheese or a combination of cheeses to find the flavor that you prefer, like:
- White Cheddar
- Smoked Gouda
- Monterey Jack
Extra Creamy Mac and Cheese:
I recommend some tips to make extra creamy Mac and Cheese:
Use a combination of different types of cheese such as cheddar, Parmesan, mozzarella, or cream cheese. This can add depth and creaminess to the dish. Also, use higher-fat milk such as whole milk or half-and-half instead of skim milk. The additional fat content will make the sauce creamier.
Add a dollop of sour cream to the cheese sauce. This will add a tangy flavor and creamy texture to the dish. Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup to the cheese sauce. It can add creaminess and a subtle mushroom flavor to the dish.
Add the cheese in small batches and stir constantly until it's fully melted. This will prevent the cheese from clumping together and make the sauce creamy. Let the Mac and cheese rest for a few minutes after cooking. This allows the cheese sauce to thicken and become creamier.
What Size Instant Pot Did I Use?
Personally, I used a 6-quart instant pot and I also recommend the same to you people. This is a good choice if you are making the recipe for 4 to 5 people. Another reason for using this pot is that this pot can proceed to pressure faster than the 8-quart instant pot.
For adding chicken to the recipe just set the Instant Pot to saute mode, add olive oil to the pot and let it heat up for a minute.
Now, Add the cubed chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Then, remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
Follow the above-mentioned recipe for Instant Pot Mac and Cheese, up to the point where you add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce.
Freezing Macaroni and Cheese
The leftovers of Instant Pot Mac and Cheese can be frozen for up to 3 months and can be used after thawing and reheating for some time before reuse.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups shredded cheese, a mix of cheddar & mozzarella works well
- 1 cup whole milk
- Parsley, to garnish
- Set the shredded cheese, butter, and milk aside at room temperature, they shouldn't be cold when added to the macaroni.
- Add the chicken broth and seasonings to the Instant Pot and mix until well combined. Pour in the macaroni. Secure the cover and ensure the quick release valve is closed.
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes and flip the quick release valve when finished to allow the steam to escape and slow down the cooking process.
- Stir in the butter, cheese, and milk, until well-combined.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
Cheese Options to Use:
- White Cheddar
- Smoked Gouda
- Monterey Jack