Hamburger Helper is a classic comfort food that has been a favorite among families for generations. The Instant Pot has revolutionized the way we cook, making it possible to whip up a delicious and comforting Hamburger Helper dish in no time. In this blog, I will share with you my story of making an Instant Pot Hamburger Helper and all the tips and tricks to make it perfect every time.
As a busy parent, I'm always on the lookout for quick and easy dinner recipes that my whole family will enjoy. One day, while browsing through social media, I came across a recipe for Instant Pot Hamburger Helper that caught my eye. I had never made Hamburger Helper before, but the thought of making it in an Instant Pot seemed like a game-changer.
I gathered all the ingredients and started cooking, feeling a little nervous about how it would turn out. But as I smelled the delicious aroma of the beef and spices cooking in the Instant Pot, my worries melted away. When it was time to add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir it in, the dish transformed into a creamy and cheesy masterpiece.
I couldn't wait to serve it to my family, and they loved it! They even asked for seconds and thirds. Since then, Instant Pot Hamburger Helper has become a staple in our weekly meal plan, and I love how easy it is to customize with different ingredients and spices.
Overall, my experience making Instant Pot Hamburger Helper was a success, and I'm excited to continue experimenting with this classic comfort food dish in the future.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can dice tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
How To Make:
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the sauté button. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, elbow macaroni, paprika, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it in place. Set the valve to the sealing position.
- Press the manual button and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, do a quick release of the pressure.
- Open the lid and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it is melted and creamy.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
How to store:
If you have any leftovers, allow the Hamburger Helper to cool to room temperature. Then, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to refrigerate:
To reheat the Hamburger Helper, simply transfer it to a microwave-safe dish and heat it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
Tips to make it more delicious:
- Add some chopped bell peppers or mushrooms to the dish for some extra flavor and nutrition.
- Use a combination of different types of cheese, such as Parmesan or Gouda, to give the dish a unique twist.
- Add some hot sauce or chili flakes for some extra heat.
Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?
A: Yes, you can definitely use ground turkey instead of ground beef. However, keep in mind that the flavor and texture of the dish may be slightly different.
Can I use a different type of pasta instead of elbow macaroni?
A: Yes, you can use a different type of pasta if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I freeze the Hamburger Helper?
A: Unfortunately, Hamburger Helper does not freeze well due to the creamy sauce. It is best to enjoy it fresh or refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days.
Making Instant Pot Hamburger Helper is a quick and easy way to enjoy a classic comfort food that your whole family will love. With the right ingredients and techniques, you can make it perfect every time.
Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. dried elbow macaroni, (equal to a 1 lb. box)
- Shred the cheese and set it aside to allow it to come closer to room temperature.
- Set the instant pot to Sautee and add the vegetable oil.
- Add the ground beef and cook and crumble for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for another 3-4 minutes or so, until the onions are soft and translucent and the meat is cooked through.
- Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and salt/pepper. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in ¼ of the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to release the cooked pieces of beef that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. This will give the sauce extra flavor but also prevents the burn indicator from turning on during pressure cooking.
- Add the rest of the broth and submerge the macaroni into the sauce so that it’s completely covered.
- Lock the lid, seal the valve, and set the pressure cooking time to 5 minutes.
- Once 5 minutes are up, quick release the steam valve. Gently stir in the cheese using a silicone spatula until well combined.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or Parmesan flakes if desired, and serve!