Creamy Beef and Shells is a delicious, easy-to-make pasta dish that is perfect for any weeknight dinner. This dish is a classic comfort food that is sure to satisfy everyone at the dinner table. Recently, I decided to give this recipe a try and was amazed by how simple it was to make, and how delicious it tasted.
As I was browsing through Pinterest, I stumbled upon a recipe for Creamy Beef and Shells. The picture looked so appetizing that I couldn't resist giving it a try. I followed the recipe step-by-step and was thrilled with the end result. The pasta was perfectly cooked, the beef was tender, and the creamy sauce tied everything together. I knew that this recipe was going to be a staple in my household.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz medium pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make it:
In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Add the ground beef and cook until browned and cooked through about 8-10 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
Add the tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the crushed tomatoes and beef broth to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to coat in the sauce.
Serve hot and enjoy!
How to Store it:
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Refrigerate it:
To refrigerate Creamy Beef and Shells, let it cool to room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Reheat it:
To reheat Creamy Beef and Shells, transfer it to a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat it on the stovetop over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Tips to Make it More Delicious:
- Use high-quality ground beef for the best flavor.
- Add additional vegetables, such as diced bell peppers or mushrooms, to the sauce.
- Top with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley.
- Serve with garlic bread or a side salad.
Can I use a different type of pasta for this recipe?
Yes! You can use any type of pasta you like. Just adjust the cooking time according to the package instructions.
Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?
Yes, ground turkey can be used as a substitute for ground beef in this recipe.
Can I freeze Creamy Beef and Shells?
It is not recommended to freeze Creamy Beef and Shells as the pasta may become mushy and the sauce may separate upon thawing.
Can I use canned diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes?
Yes, you can use canned diced tomatoes in place of crushed tomatoes. Just be sure to puree them in a blender or food processor before adding them to the skillet.
Can I omit the heavy cream for a healthier version?
Yes, you can omit the heavy cream and substitute it with Greek yogurt or sour cream for a healthier version. Just be aware that the sauce may not be as creamy.
Creamy Beef and Shells is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and always satisfying. With simple ingredients and a creamy, flavorful sauce, this pasta dish is sure to become a family favorite.
Creamy Beef and Shells
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoons cream cheese,
- ½ cups half and half
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ pound medium shell pasta
- Fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Shred the cheese and measure out all ingredients prior to beginning. Begin heating the pasta water for boiling.
- Season the ground beef with salt/pepper. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the beef. Cook and crumble it for 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the onions are softened and the beef is cooked through. Drain grease.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, mustard powder, red pepper flakes, and flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and use a silicone spatula to ‘clean’ the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and softened cream cheese. Let the sauce simmer while you boil the shells for 7-8 minutes or as instructed on package. (Optional, add a few teaspoons of salt to the boiling water.)
- Decrease heat to low. Stir in the half and half. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the shredded cheese until well-combined.
- Add the drained pasta and stir to combine. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with garlic bread with cheese and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.