Sausage and rice is a classic dish that is both hearty and delicious. It's a great dish for those who are looking for something filling and tasty. Not only is it easy to make, but it's also a one-pot dish, which means that there are fewer dishes to wash up afterward. In this blog, we'll take a closer look at how to make sausage and rice one-pot, including the ingredients you'll need and tips to make it even more delicious.
I remember the first time I made sausage and rice one-pot; it was during my college days when I was still learning how to cook. I was looking for a quick and easy recipe to make that didn't require a lot of prep work or dishes to clean up afterward. I stumbled upon this recipe online and thought it looked delicious, so I decided to give it a try.
As I started cooking, the aroma of the sausages sizzling in the pot filled my tiny apartment, making my mouth water. I remember thinking to myself, "This is going to be good!" And it was! The dish turned out to be a huge success, and I've been making it ever since.
Now, let's dive into the recipe and learn how to make sausage and rice one-pot.
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups long-grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How To Make it:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the sausage from the skillet and set it aside.
In the same skillet, add the diced onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
Add the diced tomatoes, rice, chicken broth, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the skillet and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
Add the cooked sausage back into the skillet and stir to combine.
Serve hot and enjoy!
How to store it:
If you have leftovers, you can store sausage and rice in one pot in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Make sure the dish has cooled to room temperature before storing it.
How to refrigerate it:
To refrigerate sausage and rice in one pot, let it cool to room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container. Make sure to label the container with the date so you know when you made it. It will last in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to reheat:
To reheat sausage and rice one-pot, you can either microwave it or heat it up in a skillet. If microwaving, place the dish in a microwave-safe dish and heat it up in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until it's hot. If reheating in a skillet, add a little bit of oil
Tips to make it more delicious:
- Use your favorite type of sausage, such as spicy or sweet Italian, for a different flavor profile.
- Add in some diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes for an extra kick of spice.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or sprinkle some shredded cheese on top for added creaminess.
- For a healthier option, swap out the white rice for brown rice or quinoa.
- Add in some chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley or cilantro, for a pop of freshness.
Can I use a different type of meat instead of sausage?
Yes, you can use any type of meat you like, such as chicken or shrimp. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use brown rice instead of white rice?
Yes, you can use brown rice or even quinoa for a healthier option. Just note that the cooking time may be longer.
Can I freeze sausage and rice in one pot?
Yes, you can freeze sausage and rice one pot in an airtight container for up to three months. Just make sure to thaw it completely before reheating.
Sausage and rice one-pot is a simple yet delicious dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. With just a few ingredients and one pot, you can have a filling and flavorful meal that the whole family will love. Don't be afraid to customize the recipe to your liking and experiment with different ingredients and flavors.
Sausage and Rice - One Pot!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 11 oz. sausage
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 10.75 oz. cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Note: This recipe is designed to allow you to prepare all of the casserole ingredients in one pot. Before you begin, refer to your rice package for the amount of liquid (we'll use chicken broth) and cooking time. If preferred, cook the rice separately and skip the broth ingredient. You'll need 3 +¾ cups of cooked rice to combine with the other casserole ingredients. I use white long grain rice and the cooking times below work perfectly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Slice the sausage into ½-inch thick slices and cook according to package instructions. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and add the diced onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan along with the chicken broth. Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pot to lift the brown remanence from the sausage, which will give the dish more flavor.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice. Bring back to a boil and cover tightly.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and close the lid, don’t stir. It will release starch and make the rice stickier. Cook 5-10 more minutes. (Refer to package for total cooking time.)
- Turn off the heat and leave it covered. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Any rice left on the bottom will release during this time.
- Return to low heat. Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve!