The best thing about homemade microwave popcorn is that you don't have to worry about ingredients like you would with store-bought microwave popcorn. It's nothing but natural, freshly popped corn. And I guarantee that with a touch of salt and a drizzle of butter, this will be the only way you prepare popcorn in the future!
One of my favorite "go-to" healthy snacks is warm, fresh popcorn. It's light, low in calories, and will satisfy your crunchy, salty desires. It's easy to make on the stove, but it's much easier (like incredibly easy) in the microwave.
MICROWAVE POPCORN—JUST A FEW INGREDIENTS!
To make microwave popcorn, all you need are corn kernels. But, adding a little oil, salt, and butter improves the flavor tenfold. And it's totally a vegetarian recipe.
Popcorn Kernels: Any kind will do; however, organic popcorn is best because maize is one of the most often treated GMO crops.
Oil: This dish may be made using either olive or avocado oil. And, sure, you can prepare it without using any oil.
Salt and butter are, of course, optional, but they transform a plain bowl of popcorn into a delectable treat!
3 WAYS TO MAKE MICROWAVE POPCORN
To create microwave popcorn, most recipes require a paper bag. Yet I've tested two different methods that consistently provide exactly popping outcomes. For all of these ways, I first coat the kernels with a very little quantity of oil. These are your choices:
IN A PAPER BAG
Fill a paper bag halfway with popcorn kernels and fold the top over twice. Microwave for 2–4 minutes, or until you hear a few seconds between pops. Next, take the bag out of the oven.
IN A STASHER BAG
Close a big upright Stasher Bag with the popcorn kernels inside. Microwave for 2–4 minutes, or until you hear a few seconds between pops. Next, take the bag out of the oven.
IN A GLASS BOWL
Place the popcorn kernels in a medium to a large glass bowl and top with a ceramic dinner plate to serve as a lid. Microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, then remove from the microwave when you hear a few seconds between pops.
ADD SOME FUN FLAVORS TO YOUR POPCORN
My go-to spice is utter salt, but the world is your oyster when it comes to flavoring up a bowl of popcorn!
Make it tasty: Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, or drizzle with honey and butter.
Increase the savoury factor: A garlic parmesan mix is unbeatable! Just top with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
Add some spice to it: Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or chilli powder to the salt and butter for a robust, spicy taste.
For a hint of spicy tang, combine a dab of chili powder with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
WAYS TO STORE MICROWAVE POPCORN
Fresh microwave popcorn is unquestionably the finest. If you pop a little too much, put it in an airtight container or sealable bag. It will keep for about a week. But here are a few more techniques to keep your popcorn fresh.
Let the popcorn cool completely before storing it. Otherwise, because you're holding moisture from the heat, it would become soggy.
How to Reheat
Microwave the popcorn for 10-15 seconds on high power. Check the popcorn and repeat for another 5-10 seconds if needed.
MICROWAVE POPCORN – 3 EASY WAYS!
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil, while oil isn't required, I do recommend it
- Optional: salt and butter
- In a small bowl, mix the popcorn kernels with the oil, so that they all have a light coating of oil.
IN A BAG
- If microwaving the popcorn in a paper bag: add the popcorn kernels to a paper bag and fold over the the top twice. Microwave for 2 to 4 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave), stopping when you hear a few seconds between pops. Remove the bag from the oven (it will be hot), and pour the popcorn into a bowl.
IN A STASHER BAG
- If microwaving the popcorn in a Stasher bag: add the popcorn kernels to a large upright Stasher Bag and close the bag. Microwave for 2 to 4 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave), stopping when you hear a few seconds between pops. Remove the bag from the oven (it will be hot), and pour the popcorn into a bowl.
IN A GLASS BOWL
- If microwaving the popcorn in a glass bowl: add the popcorn kernels to a medium to large glass bowl and place a ceramic dinner plate on top of the bowl to act as a lid. Microwave for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave), stopping when you hear a few seconds between pops. Remove the bowl from the oven (it will be very hot), remove the plate, and let the bowl cool to the touch before enjoying.
- Optional: you can sprinkle kosher salt and drizzle butter on top of the popcorn before serving.
- If you opt to use a Stasher Bag, it really is best to use a large, upright bag versus a sandwich bag. The latter is just not big enough for all the popcorn once it pops.
- If using a glass bowl, make sure it’s tempered glass, which will prevent breaking or shattering.