Lemon vinaigrette is a go-to salad dressing that quickly brightens any salad or dish of vegetables. It's made with just a few ingredients, including fresh lemons, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, and garlic, and tastes far better than store-bought!
LEMON VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS
This simple, homemade lemon vinaigrette has only five key ingredients:
- Lemons: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice rather than lemon juice from a container.
- Olive Oil: Use good-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Dijon Mustard: This aids in the emulsification of the dressing and gives a sense of spiciness.
- Honey: A touch of sweetness to temper the sharpness of the lemons Maple syrup might also be used.
- Garlic: A few minced garlic cloves add zing to any dressing.
- Salt and Pepper: Season with salt and pepper to taste.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
Although making this dressing couldn't be easier—it only takes two minutes—here are some suggestions for making it stand out:
- Never substitute a store-bought jar of lemon juice for fresh lemons. Lemons that are still fresh always have a more potent, bright flavor. Lemon juice from a jar won't cut it.
- An ideal oil to acid ratio for vinaigrettes is 3:1. A 3:2 ratio—or one that is very similar—is what I have used in the recipe below. It has much more taste and is a little less greasy. But feel free to change it to suit your tastes.
- The Dijon mustard gives the dressing a little spice addition and aids in emulsifying it. You can certainly add more to make it creamier and more resembling a Dijon vinaigrette if you prefer.
TWO MINUTE LEMON VINAIGRETTE RECIPE
It's as easy as gathering all of your ingredients and whisking them together in a small mixing bowl. I'm done now!
This lemon vinaigrette goes well with many salads, including mine. Lentil Salad, Shrimp, Asparagus and Avocado Salad, Wild Rice and Arugula Salad and Watermelon Radish and Cucumber Salad But honestly, it works well on pretty much anything
FOR MORE DRESSING RECIPES AND VINAIGRETTES
Check out these more recipes if you share my passion of homemade vinaigrettes & dressings:
- Champagne Vinaigrette
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Avocado Dressing
- Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Please let me know how the lemon vinaigrette turns out if you make it. Please share your thoughts in the comments section.
LEMON VINAIGRETTE RECIPE
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey, or maple syrup
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- This lemon vinaigrette will last for up to one week in the fridge in a sealed container (though it may lose some of it's bright flavor over time). Here are some of my favorite storage containers.
- Watch me make this lemon vinaigrette as part of my Meal Prep for Spring recipe video.
- If you do prefer a creamier dressing, give my lemon tahini dressing a try. And if you'd like to make this dressing Whole30 compliant, just omit the honey.